Battery charging

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
I managed to built an electric scooter but i have a question in order not destroying my battery. I have a 36 volt battery with a bms(battery management system). So my question is: can i charge the battery just by connecting the positive and negative terminal of the battery to the positive and negative terminal of the charger?

The charger is the original charger for this battery but i had to connect the charger to the motherboard of the hoverboard and the motherboard was connected to the battery. But now the motherboard is not working and thats why the question. So can i connect the charger directly to the battery?
Thank you in advance !!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Does your charger include the BMS? Previously, when the charger was connected to the motherboard for charging, did the motherboard have a BMS? In other words, is it likely your charger is a "dumb" charger and all of the charging functions, such as timer, conditioning, fast charge and finish charge were handled by the motherboard previously.

If so, then I would say your charger needs to be connected though the BMS.

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Does your charger include the BMS? Previously, when the charger was connected to the motherboard for charging, did the motherboard have a BMS? In other words, is it likely your charger is a "dumb" charger and all of the charging functions, such as timer, conditioning, fast charge and finish charge were handled by the motherboard previously.

If so, then I would say your charger needs to be connected though the BMS.
The charger is a dumb charger as you said but it indicates with a green or a red light if the battery is charged or not( at least it did before the motherboard stoped working) . In the other hand now ,the battery itself has a bms so i think i dont have a problem . But i dont know if this is cool as an idea in the first place.( Connecting directly) because the charger its like 42 volts and 2A.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
But i dont know if this is cool as an idea in the first place.( Connecting directly) because the charger its like 42 volts and 2A.
Sure that's OK , just connect the battery to the charger , The BMS on the battery will limit everything to a safe level and will stop charging at the right time ... I don't know if the lights will still indicate anything useful , but the battery should charge to the correct level

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Sure that's OK , just connect the battery to the charger , The BMS on the battery will limit everything to a safe level and will stop charging at the right time ... I don't know if the lights will still indicate anything useful , but the battery should charge to the correct level
Thank you very much !!