Battery Charger Project opinions needed

David Deven

Joined Nov 4, 2017
Around here things are not so good so this is why I started this project to help any bit I can. Anyway I simply want to convert the AC part to accept DC from a 5v Solar panel.

On another forum I posted on I was told that I would need to know the amount that the AC is being converted to. Now I don't know alot but I was thinking that I would need to know the DC amount that the AC is being converted to to match that amount with a solar panel to feed it.

Any guidance on where to go from here will be a good learning experience.

Again thanks for any or all replys.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Anyway I simply want to convert the AC part to accept DC from a 5v Solar panel
Not sure I understand. You have a solar panel that is connected to an inverter that produces AC,
and you want the AC to be used to charge a battery ?

Off the shelf battery chargers, many, operate off AC line. There are solutions that take
solar DC and power battery charging circuits as well.

Maybe describe the problem a little more, even a pencil block diagram drawing....

Regards, Dana.

David Deven

Joined Nov 4, 2017
This is an off the shelf brand charger for AA or AAA NIMH Batteries. This runs off the mains or Line AC.

I want to hook up the solar cell up to the DC side of the circuit thus replacing the AC side.

Is that any better ?.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Maybe a close example is SONY BC-CS2A, 100-240 50/60 Hz, 3W input, output 1.4 V DC @400 mA. Sealed plastic case, no visible screws so access to DC regulator might be difficult.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
I want to hook up the solar cell up to the DC side of the circuit thus replacing the AC side.
It is possible but lack of a schematic of charger and regulator
part number so datasheet can be examined a bit of a challenge.
In order to insure you do not violate specs of charger IC.

Regards, Dana.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I also have an Energizer AA and AAA battery charger which might be different to yours. It is simply a stooopid timer circuit with some current limiting.
It overcharges an already charged or partly charged cell.

David Deven

Joined Nov 4, 2017
I have revised my idea and found this charger posted on AAC by Jacob Smith I would like to use if possible.

I would also like to say a big thanks for the textbooks provided although I can only understand about half the way its presented I still appreciate all the help and understanding you have provided everytime I visit.

Link

I just have a few questions about this design.

1.I don't want to have the 12v output. Can I safely remove that or is it hardwired to the point where it can not be removed.

2.I would like to know if I could use my 5v 500mah solar panel. Because at most I will only charge 2 batteries at once which I am sure will take a while.