Batteries AA Rechargable

CALB

Joined Mar 27, 2018
Hi

I'm building a portable battery pack, requires 12V's for a Xbox 360 Kinect, to keep running costs down using rechargeable batteries , But 10 Rechargeable batteries adds up to 13.5V's even thought they are 1.2V.

It's been years since done anything with electronics, have can I get this down to 12 volts or make sure only 12v goes though?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
They will be 12V for the vast majority of the time during use. Only immediately after charging will they be 13.5V and I don't think that will cause the Xbox any problem.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi

I'm building a portable battery pack, requires 12V's for a Xbox 360 Kinect, to keep running costs down using rechargeable batteries , But 10 Rechargeable batteries adds up to 13.5V's even thought they are 1.2V.

It's been years since done anything with electronics, have can I get this down to 12 volts or make sure only 12v goes though?
If you measure the voltage under load while the device is actually running, I think you'll find it's much lower. I wouldn't worry about the mild over-voltage and in fact I think you may struggle with under-voltage.

If you really want to get deep in the weeds, there are DC-DC converters that can hold an output voltage while the input voltage goes above or below the output target. If the input is always below the output, you need a only boost converter. If the input is always above the output, you need only a buck converter. If it can be either, there are combined buck-boost converters. There things are efficient and not very expensive on eBay. In my opinion, you don't need one.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
They will be 12V for the vast majority of the time during use. Only immediately after charging will they be 13.5V and I don't think that will cause the Xbox any problem.

AH is correct. The slight excess voltage with no load will not be a problem. The batteries running down will be the problem.