Basic Transistor question for hobbyist

n9jcv

Joined Apr 14, 2016
Hello everyone, I have been reading Understanding Basic Electronics 1st edition by Larry Wolfgang. Page 27-5 has the below diagram. I am confused, because either my understanding is wrong (most likely) or the book has an error.

The diagram shows a PNP transistor. I can confirm it is a PNP because the diode/triangle points in. What is confusing to me, is they have labeled the diode leg as the Collector. In all other references I see of PNP, the diode leg is a Emitter. Is the book in fact incorrect?

trans2_641x456.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

You are correct. The emitter and collector are labeled incorrectly. There may be a later edition with a correction.

n9jcv

Joined Apr 14, 2016
thank you, my head was spinning all night thinking I was not fully understanding something. at this point I am glad the book is incorrect :) I just hope the rest of the book is correct.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No, no. The two batteries are correct. The labels Collector and Emitter are in the right place. PNP label is correct.
It is the arrow on the transistor is in the wrong place. The arrow should be on the emitter.

trans2_corrected.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
No, no. The two batteries are correct. The labels Collector and Emitter are in the right place. PNP label is correct.
It is the arrow on the transistor is in the wrong place. The arrow should be on the emitter.
There's less wrong with it if you look at it from that perspective. I prefer to have schematics flow from left-to-right and top-to-bottom.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
There's less wrong with it if you look at it from that perspective. I prefer to have schematics flow from left-to-right and top-to-bottom.
I agree. I really had to spend time looking at that one (once corrected). Before the correction my head was spinning too.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
trans2_corrected.jpg

The first transistor circuits I ever worked with were PNP Ge, OC44, OC45, OC71 and OC72 in the Philips Electronics Engineer kit.
All the circuits were drawn that way with -Vsupply at the top and +Vsupply connected to GND at the bottom.

That makes the view and circuit topology consistent with the more popular use of NPN Si transistors.