BASIC Stamp vs. Arduino

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I will say whatever do the job, will work. I do not like the Arduino because the IO limitations. If needed I like to use the full chip. I have done some commercial prototyping with just a PICKIT and the HiTech lite C-compiler. Then the more fancy equipment have been tied up in other projects.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
That is the neat thing about the UBW32, since the size and footprint of the 100 pin USB pic32MX, it is hard for the hobbyist to use these in their projects, or for someone to use them in a prototyping environment, unless you spend money on multiple dev boards... with the UBW32, you can write your own code in Hi-Tech C or Microchips C, or any other compiler you choose, you can use the Pickit2, pickit3, ICD3, or the RealICE to debug and write your code (can't debug with pickit2), you do not have to use the bootloader (but it is nice if you have to update your firmware, then you can do it with just a usb cable).

So if you are looking for more horsepower and a ton of I/O's, I would go with any of the PIC32 Based module first (Olimex also has dev boards out based on the pic32, and others also....)

With the DIP style pin arrangements on the UBW32, it can plug right into a breadboard with only having to solder some pin headers on it, so it is a very versatile board if you want to delve into the 32 bit microcontrollers....

B. Morse

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
the last 10 posts (or so) were great guys, thanks so much for having the conversation - i will get an arduino and start re-doing old projects with it to get my feet wet (when i have time of course...been re-modeling my house the last few weekends so time is hard to find...too many hobbies!)

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
Not sure if the Mbed thingy is the same as a "real" chip and coded the same, or if they pulled and "arduino" and made their own language for it to simplify it.
the mBed has its own compiler - it runs off of "cloud" computing principles somehow.

i think it codes in C but has built in extensions for USB, SPI and serial (among other things as well).

seems like a large jump from BASIC though, so i am going with what seems to be generally viewed as a smaller jump with the arduino.

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
spoke with the senior EE on site here and i think he has more faith in my abilities than i do.

he told me to not be afraid of the mbed, and that he was sure after a week's worth of digging into the device/bashing my skull into a wall i'd have a handle on the mbed and be up and running for quick prototype work.

he also said that it would be wise because i would be allowing myself to use the built in comms functions once i got a handle on the device as well..makes sense.

i will keep the adruino in mind, just in case the wall i will be using to bash my skull into is harder to break than usual.

i will also look into swordfish basic - sounds interesting.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Its a slick chip. I too was considering the mbed thing too but found a keil board on ebay for cheap with the same chip. Haven't done more then play with the demo files but its pretty cool and fast. Hell buy both and your still not up to $100 yet.

Blueroom you keep mentioning swordfish basic so much I'm gonna have to try it out. I haven't done basic in over 20 years so I'm sure it will be interesting.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Swordfish is a GREAT tool. It can do anything. And it compiles to a small hex output.

Easy straightforward math, and built in EVERYTHING.

I like it a lot.
I use Swordfish for uC and KBasic for PC side. Works great.