bash/terminal - change what settings in order to make a phone call

arduinolego611

Joined Jan 23, 2022
So I am taking some time to learn bash commands in terminal on a Mac, using Mac OS Big Sur. I am trying to make a phone call from the terminal. I know I could do this from the FaceTime or messages app, but I am doing this in the interest of learning commands in the terminal.

here's my code:
Code:
open "tel://+1800phonenumber"
when I hit enter, the phone call icon comes up in the corner of my screen and asks me to press "call" to complete the call, or "cancel". when I hit call, it says "1800phonenumber" unavailable. (obviously not the real number)

So I looked it up online and tried a few things in my settings - I enabled wifi calling on my phone. It seems like my face time account and iCloud accounts are signed in under the same name. I made sure my phone and laptop were on the same network.

all of this and I still cant seem to make a connection for the actual phone call. what should I do?

arduinolego611

Joined Jan 23, 2022
Can you try to call a number that is not registered as an iMessage number, like a landline help number for some company, both from FaceTime app and the command line?
I had tried my dad's cell, which is a flip phone. that didnt work. but just now I tried a random business number from my contacts and it worked.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Did you retry your own number after that? It seems like the problem was related to WiFi calling, and perhaps that is cleared up now?