Avoiding US tariff on PCBs - US based manufacturers?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Can anyone recommend a PCB manufacturer in the US? Or other country that doesn't trigger a big tariff when importing into the US? OR is anyone versed enough in the law to say what changes need to be made to a PCB to make it immune to tariffs?

I've been using AllPCB and they have been good, except they're in China so I got dinged with 26% US tariff last time, many thousands of dollars. When I looked at the rules, some PCB designs do not get charged tariffs, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in the law to know what specific changes I could make to my PCB specifically to avoid tariffs. Tips for this type of thing also welcome.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
US based manufacturers charge a lot more than 26% more than Chinese ones.
You're likely right, but if there is a good one I'm willing to give them a try to compete. If it's the same I'll go US. I'm also open to other countries; India, Japan, Canada, etc.. just looking for a suggestion from someone who has used one before so I'm not choosing blindly.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Osh Park is good for hobbyists because they dont charge a fortune for small quantities. If the TS is paying thousands of dollars in tariff, he is buying in large quantities. Not sure how competitive they are on that.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Osh Park is good for hobbyists because they dont charge a fortune for small quantities. If the TS is paying thousands of dollars in tariff, he is buying in large quantities. Not sure how competitive they are on that.
Yes, just for some scale I'm currently paying $1.22/ea for the PCB and assembly (plus parts and tariff). The PCB is about 80x80mm and I think there are about 18 parts on it, some SMT some through hole. Nothing special or fancy.