Automobile starter motor to lift weight?

raviprakash.hegde

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Hello Friends,

I need to move 10 kg of payload from ground to 15 meters vertical height in 25 seconds(approx) on a metal pole.
Setup is similar to this - https://grabcad.com/library/rope-climbing-and-descending-robot-1 (Pole instead of rope)

Which type of motor is ideal for this application? and what would be the motor specification?
Should be powered by 12V DC battery.

Would an automobile starter motor (ebay - 2 wheeler starter) do the work?

Thanks!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A starter motor should certainly provide the torque required.
It does not show if it is a P.M. motor or a traditional series motor.
Series motors have very high initial torque for instant on starting.
You have to take care they are under load at all times, otherwise they can spin at a very high rate (runaway).
But either should do it if of the starter motor variety.
Max.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I don't know how powerful the motor should be but I think it will need to be geared and should probably have a speed controller to control the ascent.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't think gearing would be necessary to increase torque, 10Kg is not that much for a starter, I would expect the one shown to be sufficient?
Max.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
It may work without gearing but I assume that the motor will transmit its drive via a rubber wheel of some type and envisage the rubber disintegrating while the payload remains stationary, as soon as power is applied. The payload only needs to average 0.6m/s.

raviprakash.hegde

Joined Nov 14, 2011
I don't think gearing would be necessary to increase torque, 10Kg is not that much for a starter, I would expect the one shown to be sufficient?
Max.
Starter motors doesn't have gears?
According to my calculations, for speed of 0.5 m/s, 60rpm speed at output shaft is needed.
So, if starter motors rotate at 10k rpm, do I need respective gear ratio? (166:1)

raviprakash.hegde

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Note that a starter motor is a low duty-cycle device so it must have some time to cool between uses.
Yes. This should be possible. Because after climbing 15m pole it will have 10sec before climbing down.
Also, it will have 30-60 sec time before climbing up again.
Should this time gap be sufficient?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I'm not very good at this but I get around 150 RPM and 80 inch pounds. But your motor has no specs so it's hard to say.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
No It looks like ronv is correct I used the wrong sign, just under 10Nm.
Alot may depend on whether the motor is a series (wound) field where there is considerable torque available, with a P.M. field it is fixed.
Max.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Rough figures: 118 RPM, 44 in-lb; extrapolating from other gearhead motors gives me 1/10 hp, drawing about 16A @ 12 V or about 200W. Did onot find a match unless 2 motors used which might be easier than belts or gears.

raviprakash.hegde

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Rough figures: 118 RPM, 44 in-lb; extrapolating from other gearhead motors gives me 1/10 hp, drawing about 16A @ 12 V or about 200W. Did onot find a match unless 2 motors used which might be easier than belts or gears.
Thanks Bernard.
Can you please show me the calculations. I want to learn.

Yes I will be using 2 motors placed at 180 deg to each other, similar to the design in the link provided.
https://grabcad.com/library/rope-climbing-and-descending-robot-1

Can I use the automobile(2 wheeler) starter motor? (ebay - 2 wheeler starter)
Unfortunately, I do not know the technical specification of this motor.

Also, I do not know whether starter motors will have gears. I think they'll provide very high rpm (8k-10k rpm). But what I need is 120 rpm as you told.

Last edited:
Hello Friends,

I need to move 10 kg of payload from ground to 15 meters vertical height in 25 seconds(approx) on a metal pole.
Setup is similar to this - https://grabcad.com/library/rope-climbing-and-descending-robot-1 (Pole instead of rope)

Which type of motor is ideal for this application? and what would be the motor specification?
Should be powered by 12V DC battery.

Would an automobile starter motor (ebay - 2 wheeler starter) do the work?

Thanks!
I would use gearing to help the motor match the ratios to get 25 sec .