Automatic Door Lock System

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Hi all

Recently I went to company for interview. I saw there that everyone had a card. They kept that card in front of the door and then the door was open.
The person who did not have the card could not open the door. They were contacting only on phone.

upload_2017-11-14_17-52-29.png

I had the curiosity to know about this type of system. After coming home, I read about it on the internet. I find out that we can make this system with the help of RFID and Micro controller. Am I right ?

Can we make this system with the help of RFID?. What specialty should have in good automatic door system?

Last edited:

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
RFID/NFC Reader/Writer for Arduino
http://www.mpja.com/RFID_NFC-Reader_Writer-for-Arduino/productinfo/31111+MP

RFID kit for Arduino microcontrollers.
MIFARE RFID Reader/Writer set up that includes a MF522 reader Board, a S50 Plastic Card and a small KeyFOB.
Supports ISO14443A Transponder protocols and CRYPTO01 encryption algorithm. Open source software available at www.arduino. com and several other sites.
Module: Based on the MFRC522 IC
Frequency: 13.56MHz
Power: 3.3V @ 26mA Active ,<80uA Sleep mode
Read/Write Time: <2mS
Distance: <10cm
Data Transfer Read/Write: 424kbs
Interface: SPI
Module includes straight & right Angle Headers that you have to solder.
Size: 60L X 40W X 6mm Without header
Card: NFC Smart Card/Tag MIFARE S50, Blank card.
Memory: 1K EEPROM (768Available)
Comm. Speed: 106 Kbaud
Freq: 13.56MHz.
# of Writes: 100K
Size: 86 X 55 X .9mm
Compatible With most NFC supporting Android Devices.
Keyfob: NFC MIFARE 1K ISO 14443A
Freq: 13.56MHz.
# of Writes: 100K
Waterproof ABS Case
Size:32W X 40L X 4mm

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Thanks @DNA Robotics

But I was asking that could I use RFID to make that type of system. You have posted a specifications of module. You did not mention in your answer whether I can use it or not.

We had a crude one (1980's) made by Honeywell that used a cassette tape and a dumb terminal. Our cards used to set off store shoplifting detectors. You didn't have to take it out of your wallet. Just touch your wallet to the reader without even taking it out of your pocket.

The doors were set to fail safe instead of fail secure. If a card could not be identified (cassette tape failure), you would be granted access.

Some simple systems with few people, can use a master card and the new card to add people to the lock. deleting would be harder.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
The doors were set to fail safe instead of fail secure. If a card could not be identified (cassette tape failure), you would be granted access.

Some simple systems with few people, can use a master card and the new card to add people to the lock. deleting would be harder.
RF module scans the code written on the card right. I have seen in shop there is price sticker on apples and other things. they just read the price and item numbers. So this means that RFID will be used for scanning any object

If I write on paper from a pen, can RFID module scan those words? how does it only scan word ?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
RF module scans the code written on the card right. I have seen in shop there is price sticker on apples and other things. they just read the price and item numbers. So this means that RFID will be used for scanning any object

If I write on paper from a pen, can RFID module scan those words? how does it only scan word ?
Yes and also no. RFID can be used for theft prevention but is just one of several possible methods. Pricing on merchandise often uses a bar code method for pricing and inventory control. You have seen bar codes commonly called a UPC (Universal Product Code) on products. They look like this:

UPC Code.png
The UPC Label is scanned with a bar code scanner connected to a data base. When I scan the product the scanner reads the bar code and looks at the data base which has price and quantity data. When the sale is complete the price is shown and the software will subtract 1 from the quantity in stock.

No this is not RFID and is more commonly called OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
Optical character recognition is the mechanical or electronic conversion of images of typed, handwritten or printed text into machine-encoded text, whether from a scanned document, a photo of a document, ...Wikipedia. A Google of Optical Character Recognition will provide more details.

So what we have is RFID, UPC Bar Codes and OCR. Each has their own use and in some cases their use can be crossed. The idea being to choose a solution which works best for an application.

Ron

There are two gross types of RFID. One is active and the other is passive. EZpass used for toll collection and placed on a car window uses an active transmitter or tag (a transmitter with a battery). Access control type systems use a passive tag.

EZpass is over very long distances and high speed.

The tag, when taken apart, had 4 PCB antennas and a chip of some sort. It may have been a simple diode. So, for a very dumb system, you can scan a range of modulated frequencies and each antenna would cause a dip in received signal. Those dips can be turned into a code.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I Was talking to my friend about project. He told me, you can read bar code from mobile. There is a app , you can read bar code from that app. Why are you using the controller and the RF module.

I told him, yes we can do it but we can not do this only with app. There should be RFID reader in mobile phone. but he is not agree with me. how to tell him

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Why are you using the controller and the RF module.

I told him, yes we can do it but we can not do this only with app. There should be RFID reader in mobile phone. but he is not agree with me. how to tell him
Because not everyone has a cell phone. Plus you don't need to take an RFID card out of your wallet. Just walk near enough to the reader and it will be able to read the card.

Use of an RFID reader (or even an rfid target for that matter) on a cell phone, would likely need special circuitry. There are apps to both display and read bar codes. Nothing specail needed other than a phone with a camera and sisplay.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Actually, I was just thinking that the newer cell phones do have an RF type of identification system. No reason why you could not build a reader compatible with both those and the traditional RFID system.