Auto-reverse single phase 110VAC induction motor

bok_choy_boy

Joined Feb 11, 2021
Hello,

I'm trying to design a motor control circuit that can auto-reverse when a jam is detected. I'm using a single-phase 110VAC 2HP induction motor

I do not need to control the speed of the motor, only the direction.

One method I've considered is to wire one contactor for forward, one for reverse, and then use some sort of relay to switch from the forward contactor to the reverse contactor when the motor draws too much current. Am I on the right track? Or is there another method I could use to achieve similar results?

As I'm fairly inexperienced in circuit design any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor shows reversible, so fortunately they must bring all leads out for reversing.
You could use a 3 ph reversing contactor, these have both electrical & mechanical interlocks.
The Main issue is the reversing, you may be able to make use of the motor O/L that normally attaches to the bottom of a contactor, they are adjustable, and also have a sense contact output that closes on O/L for designer use.
But you preferably require a pause between FWD & REV.
Incidentally, when using a 3ph contactor for a 1ph motor it is customary to bring one conductor out the bottom and back up to the 3rd phase input before exiting the 3rd line output.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes. instant reverse is called 'plugging' and is sometimes done in 3ph motors to brake severely, but it is a little harsh on the mechanism and not done that often.
Max.