Audio help. Need suggestions how to solve problem

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The problem: I have an old Lorex DVR 4K Ultra HD with four camera inputs and a single audio input. I'd like to add a microphone to my security system, though I'm not using it as a "Security" system but rather more of a YouTube studio for making video's. I'm still waiting to hear from Lorex but looking through their stores I don't see an audio system that can plug and play. It's looking like I will need to bodge together something. Don't know what would be better; Dynamic mic or Electret mic - or other. Any ideas?

If I end up building my own I have no idea what the impedance of the input is or if it accepts a preamplified source or if it takes a cold mic. At present I think somewhere in my vast collection of junk-stuff I might have an electret mic but I don't know if I can find it anytime this year. It's already late in this year, it's already past the middle of January. I DO have an old mic from a computer, the mic plugs into the input port but the last time I tried using it success was lacking. Also have a mic from a car audio system that included hands free bluetooth cell phone service. I don't know if that will work. Haven't tried anything yet. Better to have an idea than to blindly stumble forward and damage something.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Found this on Amazon. Cheap. And I'd expect cheap results. But it's not high end audio I'm after, just something that is decent. Also, I don't know what sort of microphone I should try.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
RCA
That's what I'm wanting to know - IF I need a preamplified source.
Needs a preamp.
Maybe this unit from Amazon only 12 bucks.
CCTV Microphone Security Microphone Audio Outdoor CCTV Gift RCA Tiny Surveillance Microphone DVR High Sensitive Preamp Amplified Pickup Device Mic External Camera Sound Waterproof Best Metal Case

1705510339191.png

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
After reading reviews and even watched a home made video - I liked what I saw and heard. Thanks. Just ordered this unit. Plug and Play just like I had hoped for.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Thinking further on this purchase, I don't even need a separate power supply for the audio. It connects in line with the camera. Having high hopes. Thanks sghioto

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The very first suggestion i would offer is to read the instructions that came with the device. Even if they tell you to use some specific microphone, then you can research that device and read it's description.
Another option is to measure the voltage across the microphone input. If it is a few volts DC, then it needs an electret microphone, otherwise, either a crystal or a dynamic mic..
IT seems like you may already have ordered some device. Please let us know, both what it actually is, and how well it works out.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
read the instructions that came with the device.
Don't have them anymore. Bought this thing probably 12 to 15 years ago. Been shelved for 6 or 7 years when replaced with a newer unit.
let us know ••• how ••• it works out.
Will do. Should get the new mic Saturday.

This is what I bought. Based on the video of a reviewer it sounded like it would definitely satisfy my needs. Not only do I read the 5 star reviews I also read the 3 star reviews to get a fairly good idea of what to expect. Also read the 1 star reviews to see if someone had an issue and couldn't get a resolution. Based on what I've read it looks like a pretty safe bet it will do the job I want. Admittedly in the past I've taken this approach and ended up with something that either didn't work as advertised or had issues with customer service.

Once I bought a CB mobile antenna. Came in two boxes. The base in one box and the whip in the other. But the whip box was empty. Called the vender. He said his shipper definitely remembers putting the antenna in the box. It's possible the whip could have slipped out of the box along the way but he sent me a new whip. The second box contained a 65" whip. I still had the first box which was 59 inches. I just HAD to ask him how they managed to get a 65 inch whip into a 59 inch box. Had to fight for that one.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have some cheap four-input mixers on the shelf. One has a preamp, one does not. The preamp one is "Olson" brand. Remember "Olson Electronics?"

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Aside from carbon microphones and digital interface microphones, common microphones are mostly one of three types: LOW impedance balanced output magnetic mics, usually using a XLR connector, OR ELECTRET microphones that are medium impedance and use a power source from whatever they are connected to, or CRYSTAL microphones that have a quite high impedance output.
There are also LOW impedance microphones that use PHANTOM POWER, but most of them come with XLR connectors. Certainly there are exceptions, but they are mostly a lot more expensive, OR really cheap parts of toy sound devices.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
To be honest MisterBill2 there's a lot I don't know about audiophile. That's why I ask.

I should be getting this purchase today by 8:00 PM Mountain Standard Timezone. So I don't think I'll be testing it out today. Maybe tomorrow or Monday. Or possibly not before next week (1/29).

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To be honest MisterBill2 there's a lot I don't know about audiophile. That's why I ask.

I should be getting this purchase today by 8:00 PM Mountain Standard Timezone. So I don't think I'll be testing it out today. Maybe tomorrow or Monday. Or possibly not before next week (1/29).
Many long tears of experience eventually do stack up lots of information. Plus working to always learn about things of all kinds.