Audio amplifier for a Speaker

Mirzan

Joined Jul 6, 2022
Hi who is reading this request of mine,
I want to create an audio amplifier for a 4ohm speaker and 10W of power, with a maximum of 20W (PL 7 RV Visaton). I tried a circuit with cascaded LM356Ms (pre-amp and amplification) only that the speaker effect is a bit too weak and distorted and I was asked to use another component or method. I am very inexperienced and I do not know which way to turn. I had thought of using an LM 386 but I saw that it only accepts input from -0.4V to 0.4V, and realize that I have a DC input that goes from 0V to at most 3.3V, even if it normally does not exceed 1.8 V.
I have seen some IRF240s but they are too powerful I think, I also checked the tda2822m but I don't know if it's okay because it is also an old model but I don't know.
If you can recommend specific circuits or ICs for this type of application that will work in my case it would be great.
Thanks in advance. : D

Mirzan

Joined Jul 6, 2022
Hi who is reading this request of mine,
I want to create an audio amplifier for a 4ohm speaker and 10W of power, with a maximum of 20W (PL 7 RV Visaton). I tried a circuit with cascaded LM356Ms (pre-amp and amplification) only that the speaker effect is a bit too weak and distorted and I was asked to use another component or method. I am very inexperienced and I do not know which way to turn. I had thought of using an LM 386 but I saw that it only accepts input from -0.4V to 0.4V, and realize that I have a DC input that goes from 0V to at most 3.3V, even if it normally does not exceed 1.8 V.
I have seen some IRF240s but they are too powerful I think, I also checked the tda2822m but I don't know if it's okay because it is also an old model but I don't know.
If you can recommend specific circuits or ICs for this type of application that will work in my case it would be great.
Thanks in advance. : D
it is a requirement to be a type D or type T amplifier

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The tiny speaker is a squeaker or a shrieker even when it is in an enclosure.
Music will sound awful and a man's voice will sound tinny and muffled.

A PAM8610 stereo amplifier produces 10W in each 4 ohms speaker with low distortion when the power supply is 12VDC.
Use an input volume control or two resistors as a voltage divider to reduce your input signal level.

Here is the frequency response of the tiny shieker speaker:

Attachments

Mirzan

Joined Jul 6, 2022

A PAM8610 stereo amplifier produces 10W in each 4 ohms speaker with low distortion when the power supply is 12VDC.
Use an input volume control or two resistors as a voltage divider to reduce your input signal level.

Thank you very much :)

Mirzan

Joined Jul 6, 2022

Sorry if I disturbe you again and the other that replied to this thread, but I looked in the datasheet and I found that it had a too small package 6x6mm and QFN type which for me it's not vaible to solder (im not capable and it would be too costly) and I only can alimentate with 5V (yes I know I can convert to 12V but it would be the best if it was 5V or go to the absolute maximum rating)

Mirzan

Joined Jul 6, 2022
PAM8610 and PAM8403 amplifier boards are already built and sold online.
A PAM8610 does not work from a supply that is only 5V but a PAM8310 does and produces 3W into 4 ohms per channel.
Ok, so the PAM8403 produces 3W for channel and has the capabilities of handling 2 speakers, but I will use only one speaker and my speaker has a 10W rated power, does this mean that it would be queiter in any way and if it is quieter is a big change or it's only a few decibel? So does the amplifier power output need to be the exact power of my speaker or it's not really a big deal?
I need to build my own sistem whithout any pre-fabricated pcb. I watched some PAM models but a lot of them are out of stock.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Yes, the 3W per channel amplifier is a PAM8403.

10W to 3W is -5dB, not much sound loss.
We can hear a pin drop and also we can hear very loud sounds. The range is large then the sensitivity of our hearing is logarithmic.
-3dB is a little less loudness. -10dB sounds like half as loud which is 1/10th the power.
10 times the power (+10dB) sounds like twice as loud.

Mirzan

Joined Jul 6, 2022
Ok I will keep it in thought the PAM 8403, I had a change now... I will use two speakers 8load pl 7 rv and use a TPA3136AD2 as an amplifier with this configuration:
1657203199678.png
(Instead of the 3.1A ferride bead I will use some 6A and I will change some capacitors but the concept remain the same.)
Is it a good Idea or this type of amplifier will not work or work bad? keep in mind that I need a really good audio and the space that I need to make it sounds it's around 10m-15m with 50dB at it's extreme or a bit less, so it needs to be really loud. this has a fixed 26dB gain which is 20x the voltage so I will have an analogue input of around 1V so 20V in output which is 500mA for speaker or something like that guess.
The real problem it was that I have a tons of out of stock components which put me in dificulty situation.
I will try out the PAM8403 configuration too and I will let you know how things progress. :D

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
You will not get "really good audio" with those bad sounding tiny speakers.
The TDA3136A needs many additional parts that are not needed on other amplifier ICs. With a 12V supply its output power into 8 ohms is 8W per channel at low distortion. It overheats when driving 4 ohm speakers.

Mirzan

Joined Jul 6, 2022
You will not get "really good audio" with those bad sounding tiny speakers.
The TDA3136A needs many additional parts that are not needed on other amplifier ICs. With a 12V supply its output power into 8 ohms is 8W per channel at low distortion. It overheats when driving 4 ohm speakers.
Ok thanks, I know that i cant get really good audio but I want the most quality possible from them.
Now I will switch to 8 ohm speaker and I will try TPA3136AD2 which is 10W 8ohm channel, I know that is a lot of components but I will try.
I just want to know if I use the PAM8403 ( 3W 4 ohm) with two speakers (4 ohm and 10W) , would it be noisy or how loud would it be.
A lot of this stuff is a lot new to me because it's my first time doing an audio amplifier and Im still a newbie to electronics.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
What kind of sounds will the audio system play:
Recorded Music? Recorded Man talking? Recorded Woman talking? Recorded Little kid talking? Live Microphone? Beeps?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Music will sound awful when played on the tiny speakers.
No bass low frequencies that are frequently "the beat" in music.
No treble high frequencies then the sound will be muffled loke an old AM radio or old telephone.

Mirzan

Joined Jul 6, 2022
Music will sound awful when played on the tiny speakers.
No bass low frequencies that are frequently "the beat" in music.
No treble high frequencies then the sound will be muffled loke an old AM radio or old telephone.
Ok, sorry with music im not talking about actual pop music or stuff like that but small samples, like 'elevator' music style , casual stuff. I just dont want that 'noise'.