Audio Amp Circuits

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
Hey,
I am playing around with some old speakers and and found 4 0-5W/8Ω speakers.
I am wanting to hook them up to my cd player and was thinking about building an amp for it. What size amp would I need? Some1 suggested the 386.
I am wanting to build bigger amps as well but don't really know much about them. Want to eventually build 1 for my truck once I turn 16(21 days lol :)). Can anyone guide me in what to look for when building an amp and the info needed b4 I start. Sorta new in the whole audio part. Thanks l8er

-fire

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
Originally posted by Firestorm@May 8 2005, 05:14 PM
Hey,
I am playing around with some old speakers and and found 4 0-5W/8Ω speakers.
I am wanting to hook them up to my cd player and was thinking about building an amp for it. What size amp would I need? Some1 suggested the 386.
I am wanting to build bigger amps as well but don't really know much about them. Want to eventually build 1 for my truck once I turn 16(21 days lol :)). Can anyone guide me in what to look for when building an amp and the info needed b4 I start. Sorta new in the whole audio part. Thanks l8er

-fire
[post=7549]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi
I think you can try TDA 2030 or LM 1875 Do a google search, you will see a lot of projects based on those tiny chips
Cheers
legac

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hello firestorm,

is that a 0.5w spkr or 5w spkr. if it's 0.5w, the LM386-4 will do. you will have to make 2 sets for stereo.

if it is 5w, the TDA1524 will do. it is a 4 channel single chip audio ic. it has a 5w output per channel. that is a very versatile chip in which you can bridge it or parallel it or bridge/parallel it. however it has a small drawback, it's a class B ic power amp.

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
thx for the replys moz and legac.
each speaker is 5W.
What exactly does a class B power amp mean?
With the 4 channels, does this mean each channel can be hooked up to a speaker and each have 5Ws of power? What is the benefit of bridging or paralleling it? Fixin to check out the datasheet on these chips :). thx again

-fire

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi

by bridging you increase the power output and by parallel you increase the power dissipation capability of the chip while still retaining the original power output. :D

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
:) thx for the help, just looked at the datasheets and will hopefully figure it out after some sleep :)
thx again

-fire

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
What exactly does a class B power amp mean?
A stage operating in class A conducts throughout the whole of the input cycle.

................................ class B conducts during half the input cycle.

................................ class C conducts during a small portion of the input cycle.

Dissipation in class A is highest.

Dissipation in class C lowest. You won't see class C used for a.f. It is used only for some r.f. applications.