Audible timer

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
This is something I can design and build about six different ways with parts on hand, but probably can get on ebay for next to nothing, already packaged up and pretty.

I have been asked about an audible countdown timer. Set it for something under 20 minutes and it beeps once per minute to let you know the 1-minute marks. I'm sure I could encode the actual remaining time in a beep pattern but the request is super simple. Also, hand held, battery powered, portable, something you can take with you to an exercise room or some other activity.

Is there such a thing as a countdown timer or interval timer or stopwatch for the blind, or something like that? I am constantly amazed at the things people around here provide links to, so please leap into action.

Thanks.

ak

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
This is something I can design and build about six different ways with parts on hand, but probably can get on ebay for next to nothing, already packaged up and pretty.

I have been asked about an audible countdown timer. Set it for something under 20 minutes and it beeps once per minute to let you know the 1-minute marks. I'm sure I could encode the actual remaining time in a beep pattern but the request is super simple. Also, hand held, battery powered, portable, something you can take with you to an exercise room or some other activity.

Is there such a thing as a countdown timer or interval timer or stopwatch for the blind, or something like that? I am constantly amazed at the things people around here provide links to, so please leap into action.

Thanks.

ak
A blind person I knew years ago had a wristwatch with a flip up window so he could lift it up and feel where the hands were. One of those with an alarm function could be set for an audible alert.

The simplest way to do it electronically is maybe an AVR or PIC programmed to count button presses and generate a timeout period.

You'd have a button for seconds, a button for minutes and if needed another for hours - press the minutes button 5 times for 5 minutes and so on.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Looks like you will have te get out the soldering iron.
Ten years ago I made chelation drop timers for a Dr in Phoenix; a tick every 5.6 sec. Smaller was the word. Last one in a tube just a bit bigger than a " Chap- Stick" tube. Sounder- piezo buzzer, 3- 12V, 14 mm dia., 70 dB,4 kHz, R-S 273-074: battery alk. 12V 28 mm X 11 mm, R-S 23-144; IC C556 SMT. Five ms pulse makes nice tick, off time = pulse period, second half C556 could be number of pulses.