atmega328p simulation with arduino IDE

Elmabrouki anass

Joined Nov 17, 2020
hello,
I tried many times to do a simulation on Proteus 8.6 of an ATMEGA328P with a program (.hex) exported from Arduino IDE, the atmega328p is on external clock (16 MHz), the simulation is about reading a temperature value and display it in the virtual terminal but the virtual terminal shows ( Ç Ç Ç Ç Ç Ç ), I would like to hear your thoughts about it ?
Thank you

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
First guess is that you’ve initialized the serial speed of the virtual terminal incorrectly. Like it’s set to 9600 and the simulator is at 19200... I can’t be sure since I’m unfamiliar with your simulator, Proteus.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
First guess is that you’ve initialized the serial speed of the virtual terminal incorrectly. Like it’s set to 9600 and the simulator is at 19200... I can’t be sure since I’m unfamiliar with your simulator, Proteus.
I initially thought of that. I am just guessing that the baud should not matter on a simulation since it is not actually looking at UART signalling.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I initially thought of that. I am just guessing that the baud should not matter on a simulation since it is not actually looking at UART signalling.
I thought that as well. But I don’t know Proteus. The serial console on the Arduino IDE uses an actual serial connection I make this statement as the serial console/virtual terminal a) can be on any HW/SW serial port of the Atmega and b) misconfiguring the serial connection in a sketch causes exactly this behavior.