At long last... The bagpipes...

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Weren't the pipes invented to defeat the mounted English knights in the olden days? :)

Well actually...:p

Bagpipes actually originate from an Indian recorder-like instrument which is continously blown. This was then altered by the Egyptians, who added a bag. The Romans added drones and brought the bagpipes to Britain when they invaded.

The Scots/Picts saw the potential of this instrument to be used in war, and made it louder with harder reeds and moved the drones onto the shoulder so it cuold be played whilst standing and marching.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm glad you like it Steve, thanks for taking a look!:)

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
Is there an upper age limit to bagpipe players? What with the aneurisms and all....
Your dwelling on this "age thing" is getting really old (pardon the pun). You are just as mortal (maybe more so) in your youth as some of us are in our more advanced age and wisdom. Please find another issue to focus on as I find this very offensive.:(

By the way, aneurisms are not necessarily age dependent. I had a dear friend who died of a brain aneurism at the tender age of 34.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Your dwelling on this "age thing" is getting really old (pardon the pun). You are just as mortal (maybe more so) in your youth as some of us are in our more advanced age and wisdom. Please find another issue to focus on as I find this very offensive.:(

By the way, aneurisms are not necessarily age dependent. I had a dear friend who died of a brain aneurism at the tender age of 34.
1chance, I sincerely apologize for offending you, and anyone else who feels the same way. I 'm not the greatest comedian on AAC, that much I know. I took it too far, it's evident now.

But you are welcome to mock me any time you want! It's only fair to accept teases if you tease the others. :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

Not me! I plan on living forever!

So far so good. (Dang knees).