• Solider at work - Scout in my polical views

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Diversity can be measured in many ways - race, ethnicity, gender, socio-economic class, ...

I've often seen the difference between scout and soldier but I never put my finger on a name until I watched this Ted Talk and learned there was a name for the two types of people - Scout and Soldier.

Note that people can be scouts in some parts of their life or certain activities and soldier for other parts of their lives (Work, Family, Political views, ...). Even as a job evolves, moving from scout to soldier needs to happen but, sometimes, it takes more work to be one of those than the other.

http://www.ted.com/talks/julia_galef_why_you_think_you_re_right_even_if_you_re_wrong

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I'm somewhere more in the lines of Medic or Sniper.

Either help fix the problem or take out the source in a way that leaves everyone wondering what happened and who did it. :D

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Much too constricting. There is at least one more layer between the scout and soldier called the leader.
Except for Kim Jung Un, few people are born into leadership. They had (have) certain behaviors before becoming an leader.

Most followers prefer a leader who behaves like a soldier - consistent views and focus. Leaders are still likely one or the other.

I also see LEADER as balance between the two, not a third category.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Except for Kim Jung Un, few people are born into leadership. They had (have) certain behaviors before becoming an leader.

Most followers prefer a leader who behaves like a soldier - consistent views and focus. Leaders are still likely one or the other.

I also see LEADER as balance between the two, not a third category.
If you want to use military terms like scouts and soldiers as examples of people at work or group activities then IMO you should see executives/managers/the person in charge A-type behaviors as separate and distinct like the officers/leaders that integrate the intelligence from scouts (who reports to the leader at some level) into the plans for soldiers and scouts for anything larger than a tactical detail. I've always seen true leadership capabilities as a separate personality trait.

Last edited: