Are the social media networks…

Maybe.

In my opinion, because of social media and internet validation and social bubbles, people have learned to become more offended by and intolerant to criticism and disagreement.

The more offended a person feels, the more likely confrontation will happen.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I did hear a theory that it is beacuse of, or at least contributed to by, siri, alexa, et al where no please or thank you is required, just make your demands.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I deal with people everyday, since the COVID lockdowns, up in the air economy, people not able to meet and greet normally, in general people can be arrogant, ignorant, down right rude. Ending in 2019 I have been doing T/S for a Security Company IT related issues, for the most part I get reasonable responses, however people have gone back to work, kids back to school, there‘s sports, homework, bills over due, doom around every corner.

Some can look past it, others are so stressed they don’t know up from down. Let alone to have someone make a remark in media, you can only chip away at someone till you find their week spot, they will, and by human nature bite back.

Just my take. It‘s a fair question though, social media seems to push peoples buttons.

kv

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think the proliferation of social media is contributing to the breakdown of society.

First, the obvious. The Anonymous factor.

Secondly, people who subscribe to conspiracy theories have a voice and are validated by social media. Before, you might know a “kook” or two, but they’d be surrounded by “sane” people. Now they gather online and support each other. Having been suppressed for most of their life, they are emboldened. Now, their friends are triggered by others who have different opinions. And vicey versey !

Discourse devolves into a childish “You’re stupid!” and “No, you’re stupid!” exchanges.

And I fear there is no way out of this, unless law is changed so that social media is the only media that CAN be censored.

And we require Constitutional Law to get a high school degree.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Kinda hard to punch someone in the nose for being rude when you can't reach them! Has given rise to a whole new level of rudeness...

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
"" And I fear there is no way out of this,
unless law is changed so that social media
is the only media that CAN be censored.

And we require Constitutional Law to get a high school degree. ""

I think You need to re-read what You have just posted.
First You admit to operating in fear,
(which is a disastrous thing to do),

and then prove that You don't understand the Constitution.

Which of the 3-Constitutions would You require study of ?

Social-Media is only an "indicator", it's not the "cause" of anything.

"" Before, you might know a “kook” or two,
but they’d be surrounded by “sane” people. ""

So, You are "sane" because You believe what You see on the TV,
(better known as "the Propaganda-Box"),
but people who continuously study hard,
and conduct serious deep research,
and then figure out that what they see on Main-Stream-Media is a load of crap,
are "kooks" that should be "Censored".

NO ONE SHOULD BE CENSORED, EVER.
THAT'S WHAT THE FIRST AMENDMENT IS FOR.

"Well everybody knows that"
is the most foolish statement that anyone could possibly make.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Kinda hard to punch someone in the nose for being rude when you can't reach them! Has given rise to a whole new level of rudeness...
It's happening even outside of social media. In this area almost every where I go I see and hear people getting in others faces. And if you listen for a few minutes it's pretty easy to understand who they voted for. But then again I live in the home state of Jim Jordan.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I've never participated in "Social-Media", ( Facebook /Twitter ),
too much ignorance, or just downright stupidity, for me to tolerate.

There are occasionally some words of wisdom that I see being reported upon
by others that somehow make it through the rampant Censorship though.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this Thread got Censored,
and the person that might do it can't provide any argument as to
why or how they might justify their actions, when
they would not want the same thing done to their words.

"Because-Reasons"............

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
NO ONE SHOULD BE CENSORED, EVER.
THAT'S WHAT THE FIRST AMENDMENT IS FOR.
By the government.

The right to free speech does not apply to posting on a commercially run site like Facebook. The sentence guaranteeing freedom of speech starts with “Congress shall make no law,” not “Facebook shall make no rules.”

I don’t know why people running around with copies of the constitution don’t get this.

Bob

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Because these massive Monopolistic-Multinational-Corporations
have extremely close "ties" with various government entities,
and operate "at the pleasure" of the Government.
Furthermore, they are in the same class as the various Phone-Service-Providers or
Public-Utilities.

You wouldn't be making those kinds of lame excuses if it was being done to "YOU",
and,
You were better informed on exactly how
Corporations and Governments relate to each other,
and are formed, and currently operated.

All the crazy stuff You see going on in the news is there to get people
off their butts, and start actually investigating what the hell is going on.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Because these massive Monopolistic-Multinational-Corporations
have extremely close "ties" with various government entities,
and operate "at the pleasure" of the Government.
Furthermore, they are in the same class as the various Phone-Service-Providers or
Public-Utilities.
Strangely, I cannot figure out whether you are arguing for or against government censorship social media.

My take is that the law that absolves the media from responsibility for things members post is a big part of the problem. If a loved one died of Covid because they read that it was a hoax on Facebook, I would like to be able to sue Facebook for wrongful death.

By the way, I consider this forum to be a social media site, and I support the kind of censorship it utilizes.

Bob

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
Every one above has a valid point.
My two cents on this is similar to the djsfantasy’s thoughts. Social media tends to allow people to find its “points of resonance”. And if this resonance is not “damped” to continue using my engineering analogies, there will be a “runaway” condition.

This is exacerbated by the social media algorithm’s which sense which are your particular resonant points, and tunes its response to actually feed you the crap that will trigger you.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
This is exacerbated by the social media algorithm’s which sense which are your particular resonant points, and tunes its response to actually feed you the crap that will trigger you.
Yes, this is the evil part. They maximize their profit by keeping you on the site, and the do that by feeding you more if the nonsense that you agree with.

Bob

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Every one above has a valid point.
My two cents on this is similar to the djsfantasy’s thoughts. Social media tends to allow people to find its “points of resonance”. And if this resonance is not “damped” to continue using my engineering analogies, there will be a “runaway” condition.

I’m leaning in on this…..

So, in theory maybe we also have induced resonants topics fueled by .gov agencies. Thus, infuriate individual with whom may speak of alternate groups who they are actively seeking out to record and find “Terrorist“ activities.

NSA Agents under cover maybe? lol

kv

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You have to closely scrutinize how people make their Money or pursue Power.

Just because You don't pursue Power over others does not mean that
these types of people don't exist.
They always have existed.

The bad Social-Media-Sites started out making Money by collecting information
on your interests and selling it to Advertisers.
They still do this.
But what if You wanted to sway peoples opinions to gain Political-Power,
or for some other nefarious reason,
and You had access to virtually unlimited Public Funds in the form of Taxes.
There are plenty of unscrupulous people in this World that
can easily be bought for the right amount of Money and promises of Protection.

How many Politicians do You trust ?
Unscrupulous scumbag Criminals are attracted to
positions where there is a concentration of Power
like flies to fresh Dog-poop.