Are fanless Chromebooks OK?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I'm planning on buying a Chromebook (specifically an Asus C201) for college, and was surprised that a lot of them (including the C201) don't have any cooling fans. Do you think this makes them prone to overheating, or should they run fairly cool even without them?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I was issued a macbook from my last employer and, like you, was surprised to find it had no cooling fan. The macbook is a more powerful machine than a chromebook. A chromebook, as far as the specs I've checked, is just a tablet with physical keyboard. My android tablet has no cooling fan so i don't see why a chromebook would need one. Plus i suspect they wouldn't be selling them if they were prone to overheating, and if they did, it would be very evident in the reviews.

The deletion of a cooling fan means reduction of power consumption (and heat)

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The way I understand it, chromebooks do most computing at the remote site, so the actual chromebook does not do much computing and does not need powerful cpu, which means there is very little heat, which means there is no need for fan.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Any respectable company will go to great lengths to assure that their products will be reliable in the field. Some of them fail at the attempt. I would not worry as long as the manufacturer has a good reputation for reliability and the ability to resolve problems quickly.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I was issued a macbook from my last employer and, like you, was surprised to find it had no cooling fan. The macbook is a more powerful machine than a chromebook. A chromebook, as far as the specs I've checked, is just a tablet with physical keyboard. My android tablet has no cooling fan so i don't see why a chromebook would need one. Plus i suspect they wouldn't be selling them if they were prone to overheating, and if they did, it would be very evident in the reviews.
I agree. I was also starting to think that if Android phones don't need fans, tablets and netbooks likely wouldn't either.
The deletion of a cooling fan means reduction of power consumption (and heat)
Which means longer battery life. Me thinks I shall like a Chromebook very much.:)
The way I understand it, chromebooks do most computing at the remote site, so the actual chromebook does not do much computing and does not need powerful cpu
I know that Chrome OS apps are web-based, but I don't think loading webpages on a Chromebook does any less computing than loading them in Chrome on a PC.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
They are perfectly safe. The fanless operation is due to the energy efficient design. I use a chromebox running Linux, apps run locally. No overheating issues.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
My Chromebook was delivered today and I'm posting from it right now. So far setting it up and learning how to use it has been pretty painless. Thanks to everyone for their helpful input.

cartmian

Joined Jun 4, 2021
I know this is really late but my chromebook tends to run really hot, even when doing simple things like running a few tabs on Chrome. I would advise any future buyers to buy a laptop with fans since they can speed up or slow down to cool the CPU better.