Arduino for wireless flashing application

Andreas

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Hi,

I have a small mc based project which is to use an Arduino ATMEGA328 UNO EVAL board with an RF-solutions 8Ch transceiver. The controller will be programmed to set off (at random) one of five LED array modules 10m away with the press of a button. Each LED array module will have the same RF-solutions transceiver in it and a flasher circuit and should consume less than 200mA.

My questions are, is the Arduino board that I have chosen the most suitable one for this application and as for the flasher circuit; would it be wiser (and cheaper) to just use a simple astable 555 cct in each of the array modules or use another Arduino board in each to do the flashing?

Thanks in advance.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Don't see why an Arduino won't be suitable. I've had a quick look at the RF Solutions module (this one I assume, it's always helpful to post a link), can you not just drive the LEDs directly from the receiver module? It looks like the intention of those modules is that you send data over them so the "data" you send could be a set of high/low transitions that make the LED flash.

Andreas

Joined Jan 26, 2009
How complex is the flash pattern? You can buy self-flashing LEDs that flash at different rates. If you want to flash higher power LEDs, use the small flashing LED to drive a transistor which drives the large LED.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.

Firstly, each LED array will use 6 or 8 (KINGBRIGHT L-813SRC-D 10MM, 1700MCD) LEDs. Viewing angle is only 15 degrees so I will probably need several in a circular array type pattern. Each array (5 of) will be powered by a 12V, 1.2Ah SLA battery and should consume less than 200mA.

To be honest, I haven't decided whether the arrays will flash or not. If I do decide to flash 'em then a rate of around 5Hz should do.

Tnx.

Andreas

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Don't see why an Arduino won't be suitable. I've had a quick look at the RF Solutions module (this one I assume, it's always helpful to post a link), can you not just drive the LEDs directly from the receiver module? It looks like the intention of those modules is that you send data over them so the "data" you send could be a set of high/low transitions that make the LED flash.
Hi,

Tnx for your response. Yes, correct it's the Bravo-T868 (attached data sheet).
I did actually think about doing what you have recommended as these RF modules can sink 200mA but wasn't quite sure what the best approach would be hence my original post.

Attachments

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
You could always use a MOSFET to actually do the switching so you could load it up to whatever he MOSFET could handle, it's a pretty common approach when driving loads from digital circuits.

Andreas

Joined Jan 26, 2009
You could always use a MOSFET to actually do the switching so you could load it up to whatever he MOSFET could handle, it's a pretty common approach when driving loads from digital circuits.
That's an excellent idea.
BTW - I like your potholing photo!