Arduino controlled fire alarm system

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Does anybody have a decent Arduino based fire alarm circuit? I want to take, say four basic fire alarms and make it so that if one of them goes off in my basement, the controller can send an audible alarm to a base upstairs and indicate which zone the alarm is occuring in. Any ideas. His would all be new to me but I follow instructions very well and have all the tools I need.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Use temperature sensor to detect the "fire"/abnormal high temperature?
If it is heat you are detecting for a fire alarm then you are already dead after the alarm goes off. You need to detect smoke and CO2 . I would not be trusting my life on a circuit I designed.

An Arduino is way over kill for this application IMHO. Stick a baby monitor in the basement and you will know when smoke detectors go off.

Also there are smoke detectors with a binary output if you really wanted to monitor them with a MCU.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
What I want to do is pick up on the signal from the smoke detector when it goes off. I figure the moment it sends out an audible alarm, there has to be current movement so I would like to use that to trigger another audible alarm upstairs and notify me as to what zone it is occurring in. Hope that clears it up.
I do not want to use heat because as someone else said, it would be too late, I want the alarms to do what they are designed for. I just want to add on to that.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
What I want to do is pick up on the signal from the smoke detector when it goes off. I figure the moment it sends out an audible alarm, there has to be current movement so I would like to use that to trigger another audible alarm upstairs and notify me as to what zone it is occurring in. Hope that clears it up.
I do not want to use heat because as someone else said, it would be too late, I want the alarms to do what they are designed for. I just want to add on to that.
You want to use smoke detectors with some sort of "relay output" capability that you could tie into..
Or a listed accessory device that ties into the interconnect wiring and provides relay output..

Note: Do NOT "hack" into a smoke alarm for fear of voiding any insurance claims in the event of a fire..

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You want to use smoke detectors with some sort of "relay output" capability that you could tie into..
Or a listed accessory device that ties into the interconnect wiring and provides relay output..

Note: Do NOT "hack" into a smoke alarm for fear of voiding any insurance claims in the event of a fire..
Similar to what I posted. They are wireless now. Back in the day they were wired. I remember doing maintenance at the Bremerton Navel Hospital. I was in the hallway when a nurse dropped some alcohol. The fumes tripped the smoke alarm, the computer picked up the alarm and closed a fire door. The fire door was heavy enough to give a patient in a wheelchair a bit of a nudge rolling him a couple of inches down the hallway. Boy was he surprised.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Yep.. No need inventing/cobble anything..
Valid smoke alarm/fire system interfaces are already established..
Simply use whats already the "standard" and feed it into an Arduino all you want..

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Also, remember that fire/smoke alarms contain a tiny bit of radioactive material, which may not be so nice if released accidentally while hacking.