AoE lab manual, RC circuits, not understanding the question.

ninjaman

Joined May 18, 2013
Hello,
I am reading through the student lab manual for AoE (3rd ed) and I am on RC circuits (chapter 2). I skipped to the labs a little to try some practical. The questions are a little vague. There is a question that asks you to find the values of R and C using a 500 Hz square wave. It says to vary the frequency and shows pictures of what happens with too high a frequency and too low a frequency.
I am getting a little worn out with AoE, I have read that other people find it confusing. I have another book on the way from amazon, "Success in electronics". It is smaller and I remember it a lot easier to read and understand.
I understand what capacitors are and now understand the idea of integrator and differentiator. I have made filters before at college and understand the blocking function of a capacitor. Is there anything else that a capacitor is used for? I have read about voltage doublers, but I would like to know more about the fundamentals. What are the fundamentals of a capacitor and RC circuits?
I am reading the AoE as that seems to be the gold standard for electronics books. I just don't get on with it.
any help would be great.
Thanks
Simon

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Is there anything else that a capacitor is used for?
Ninjaman Capactors are also used in LC circuits as part of reactive resonators, matching networks, transformation networks, LC filters and like that.
You need to think on capacitors as negative reactors instead of just _storage batteries_ like texts on RC networks treat them:)!

What are the fundamentals of a capacitor and RC circuits?
Properties of RC networks are all abt RC time constant, simple as that:cool:! So just remember that's basis when studying at higher level so you'll know where it's all coming from:)

I would like to know more about the fundamentals.
Just study physics of electrostatics including dielectrics then you'll totally grasp subject:)! Problem with practical books is that concept is withheld cuz most ppl are too lazy to be bothered with real understanding:rolleyes:! So I say good on you for being proactive and curious:)!

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You could do worse than to look in the 'education' section of this site: direct current / cpacitors and alternating current / reactance and impedance.