another laptop....

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
a co-worker asked me to look at his laptop, i seem to get about one or two a year. you know the ones - about 5 years old, roughed up a little, probably paid >$1k, etc.. another dc jack failure... why is it they require complete disassembly to access that thing. mentally keeping track of the sequence, which screws went where. anyone here do this for a living? i think my profit margins would be slim if i tried to live off that.

since everything is wireless now, you'd think they would make that last umbilical cord, the power cord and it's connection, more robust. they should install a break-away connector on the cord so the stress isn't applied to the plug/connector. hmm.. or, lifetime batteries, or wireless power.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The problem with alot of consumer electronics is time consuming jobs will exceed cost effectiveness. I typically use half-cost of a new item as the line and inform the client of those facts. Even replacing a hard drive ... with reinstallation of OS, drivers, and all applicable updates [assuming no restore disc] can exceed the half-cost of a newer machine.

You have two options:

1. don't take the job
2. settle on a single price to do those type jobs that is acceptable to you even if the margin is small. That work might be better than no work. I know you won't get the price you really deserve. If your multi-tasking service tickets on the bench, the smaller margin is bearable. This job certainly isn't one where you can multitask.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
I have a ruled note book. I draw a picture of the side of the unit I'm working on. I then remove a screw and tape it to the location on the drawing. Repeat for any other side and for all the internals.
Layer by layer.
It is tedious. It does work.
There is a proper way to attach any orifice to a laptop. Money makes them use the improper way.