Another Battery.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Interesting timing - just had to get a car battery replaced this afternoon. No jump starts necessary and a lifetime twice as long sounds nice.:rolleyes:

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
That thing has a reserve of only 10 amp hours. Don't listen to the stereo with the engine off.
No worries. It'll automatically turn the stereo off if it detects excessive battery drain, so that it won't need to be jump started. But it's true that you won't be able to listen for very long before it shuts off.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
No worries. It'll automatically turn the stereo off if it detects excessive battery drain, so that it won't need to be jump started. But it's true that you won't be able to listen for very long before it shuts off.
It will also turn off the ECU, TCU (both now needing a relearn) and many other electrical needy things in a modern car with the radio, that might now need the stupid anti-theft radio code to work again. Li cells are great but you can't run them close to flat and recover like a Lead-acid battery. Make it full capacity and I will consider it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I like the use of supercaps. I wonder how long it will take before they are a standard accessory separate from the battery. It would be nice to have the advantages of both, and it would probably extend the life of a lead acid battery substantially.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Maybe it’s because I’m not up on all the new stuff, but 525 amps for 30 seconds from a six pound cap, seems pretty good.

Like Wendy says........a great battery accessory.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I don’t know how much of that 6 lbs. is for the reserve battery, But how about a 1 to 1 1/2” cap or lid that bolts on top or side of existing battery?

It would house the cap and control.

An extra 4-500 amps(or larger for heavy equipment) would be handy up north.

Maybe electrolytics the size of surface mount are in the future.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think I'd look for a JC Whitney-type add-on instead of a wholly new battery design. I mean, if the numbers worked out I'd buy an under-hood, super-capacitor bank. It could extend the life of a standard lead battery by taking off some of the peak load and by reducing the CCA needed at that critical starting moment. So when my 800CCA battery has decayed to a 400CCA battery, it might still work on a cold morning instead of stranding me.

It seems like a simple exercise in matching load to source. Super capacitors, if economical, should be an excellent source for normal starting. But woe upon you once you've run the capacitors down and no longer have enough battery to do the job.