Another ATX Power Supply Conversion

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Just a quick question and I want to make sure I am not missing something. I am converting an ATX power supply to a bench supply for powering up modules from vehicles on my bench. I have seen a hundred videos and articles and every one I see, they take and twist all the same coloured wires together and then tie it to a binding post and shrink wrap it to make it look pretty.
My question is, why not take a single wire that can handle the amperage for that circuit and tie it to a binding post? I would like to remove all of the computer wiring and tie it to a binding post on a single wire, thereby reducing the clutter. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Am I missing something?
I would just remove the cluster of wire from the PCB and solder in a #10 stranded wire for +12V for example. It will safely carry 50 amps and I will fuse it down to about 40 to be safe. Repeat for the other circuits?
Stay safe and stay healthy.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My question is, why not take a single wire that can handle the amperage for that circuit and tie it to a binding post? I would like to remove all of the computer wiring and tie it to a binding post on a single wire, thereby reducing the clutter. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Am I missing something?
I would just remove the cluster of wire from the PCB and solder in a #10 stranded wire for +12V for example. It will safely carry 50 amps and I will fuse it down to about 40 to be safe. Repeat for the other circuits?
Stay safe and stay healthy.
That's exactly what I did. All wires of the same circuit were soldered to multiple pads on the board in the same area. I unsoldered them for neatness. It made for much less clutter and a neater job.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Providing all wires of the same colour originate from the same transformer winding that's fine, but are there any unusual supplies where multiple windings are used, to share the load, so would have wires which need connecting in parallel?

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
The ones that I am using are all the same color and originate from the same point on the board. Glad to hear others do the same. They take 7 or so wires, twist them all together and poke a large hole in the PCB to solder them into and then repeat. I peeled all the wiring out and ran the wiring to a remote terminal board. I think next I will design a power distribution board that I can plug into from those leads. Thank you for your help.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have several surplus ATX supplies and am getting ready to buy one of these from Ali Express:
clipimage.jpg
Currently on sale for $2.52 with free shipping to the US.

Not suitable for high current, but will do for my needs.