Amplifying sound output from PoE phone

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
I have a PoE VoIP telephone which i've opened up. It has a 6ohm 2W mini speaker built in to it as pictured below. Is there any way of adding some components to amplify the sound output so that I can replace this 6ohm 2W speaker with something like a 8ohm 40W speaker? I've cut the wires from the mini speaker and wires the red/white to the red of a 40W 9ohm speaker and the white to the black. It seems to work but still seems to be same loudness as the mini speaker so need to somehow amplify it without the need for any external power source

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It's my understanding that the phone (a PD device) has a certain Class which it uses to negotiate the PoE power level. That Class will be appropriate for a 2W speaker and will be the limiting factor for what you could achieve by any modification to the phone without an external power source.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I wold think installing a pad and jack for line out then using an external amp would make the most sense, 40W(!) is a lot of power.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I have a PoE VoIP telephone which i've opened up. It has a 6ohm 2W mini speaker built in to it as pictured below. Is there any way of adding some components to amplify the sound output so that I can replace this 6ohm 2W speaker with something like a 8ohm 40W speaker? I've cut the wires from the mini speaker and wires the red/white to the red of a 40W 9ohm speaker and the white to the black. It seems to work but still seems to be same loudness as the mini speaker so need to somehow amplify it without the need for any external power source

There are "speaker to line-level" converters available that will allow you to connect a speaker output to an amplifier.
They are not expensive ($10-$20 USD). Connect the phone speaker wires to the converter, then connect the converter output to a small power amp of appropriate output power. The power amp can then drive the 40W speaker.

BTW- I would maintain the impedance of the internal speaker replacing the 6 ohm 2W speaker with a 6-8ohm, 2W resistor.

In addition, if you want, you can make the connection between the converter and external power amp wireless by using a low cost bluetooth audio xmtr and rcvr.

Last edited:

cabledude

Joined Feb 10, 2022
I have a PoE VoIP telephone which i've opened up...
Hi John. I'd like to contact you directly in regards to a thread you started here on AAC that is now locked. I thought there might be a direct/private message feature here that I could use, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Is there another way I could reach you directly? Another forum or website?