Amplifier with TDA 2030A

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I have posted a .PNG, I hope It is visible now.

The schematic is quote for:

I'm interested by the calculating ideea not by conections.
It is very desirable to be interested in both. Using a reservoir capacitor of insufficient working voltage, or connecting it in the wrong polarity, can lead to rapid failure.

If the capacitor is an electrolytic, which is usually the case, the capacitor may burst open violently. Do you want to have an accident?

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
@ BillO
Close, but no cigar. The +16V reservoir capacitor is backwards. Could you possibly re-post with this corrected - bear in mind that the OP seems to be at sea with this and is likely to have a capacitor accident.
It's not backwards, the '+' symbol just happened to lie on a line. It's correct.

Here, is this clearer?

I think the OP needs to step back a bit and try something a bit more simple.

Attachments

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Right enough, my apologies: - I should have noticed which side the curved plates were on, though that convention is not usual in my neck of the woods.

The OP definitely had mis-identified the bridge polarity though. From a later post it seems that there has been an accident with a capacitor before now.

I think that you are right to suggest they try a slower approach. Certainly it is not a good idea to connect a home-made power supply to anything else until you are sure that it is working correctly. Similarly, the amplifier might be better tested on a bench power unit with current limitation, if available.

coco243

Joined Sep 2, 2010
I don't think that I had placed the capacitor with a wrong polarity. I had placed it's minus to the grounding of the transformer and the plus ploarity to the plus output terminal of the bridge rectifier. And the capacitor has 4700uF at 35V. I don't know what the fault was, maybe a short circuit, who knows.

But now, I want to know why with the attached schematic my integrated circuit it's burning etremly.
And how to get done and working my test circuit.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Are you sure about your identification of the rectifier + output? Your post No. 32 shows the rectifier output labelled the wrong way around. Have you now got this corrected? Note that if the supply to the IC has ever been reversed, it may be damaged.

Before going any further, can we be quite clear whether you are using a single or dual supply voltage. Your present circuit seems to use a single rail, but there was a lot of discussion of dual supplies. The single supply version will work OK with only one reservoir capacitor connected across the bridge output, but in this case if you use the full winding you should not connect the tapping to ground.

I think the first thing for you to do would be to test the power supply without connecting it to the amplifier. Use a meter to check that it is giving the correct voltage outputs, including the right polarities.

If you have access to an oscilloscope, you should check the ripple voltage(s) with respect to ground. With no load these should be minimal.

coco243

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Are you sure about your identification of the rectifier + output? Your post No. 32 shows the rectifier output labelled the wrong way around. Have you now got this corrected? Note that if the supply to the IC has ever been reversed, it may be damaged.

It was post nr. 35, I don't know what you want to say about that? What was wrong in that drawing.

That drawing was an exclusive response for the values of Vpeak at the output of the transformer and the drop of voltage at the output of the voltage rectifier. That drawing as a principle ideea has something incorrect in it?

Of corse that on my project I had used the output "+" terminal of the voltage rectifier and the 0 wire of the transformer for supplying, and between them I had used an 4700uF capacitor.

And so I intend to do further. Where I do wrong?

Before going any further, can we be quite clear whether you are using a single or dual supply voltage.
I will use a single supply voltage.

Your present circuit seems to use a single rail, but there was a lot of discussion of dual supplies. The single supply version will work OK with only one reservoir capacitor connected across the bridge output, but in this case if you use the full winding you should not connect the tapping to ground.
I will connect the capacitor across the "+" output terminal of the voltage rectifier and transformer's tapping.

I think the first thing for you to do would be to test the power supply without connecting it to the amplifier. Use a meter to check that it is giving the correct voltage outputs, including the right polarities.
I had done that with a multimeter and the results was how I was expected.

How it says in english to the 0 (null ) that is distinct than ground?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
In post #35 you have the output polarities shown backwards. If you connected the backwards polarities to the IC then it is destroyed.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
It was post nr. 35, I don't know what you want to say about that? What was wrong in that drawing.

That drawing was an exclusive response for the values of Vpeak at the output of the transformer and the drop of voltage at the output of the voltage rectifier. That drawing as a principle ideea has something incorrect in it?
The rectifier output polarity is shown the wrong way round in that diagram.

Of corse that on my project I had used the output "+" terminal of the voltage rectifier and the 0 wire of the transformer for supplying, and between them I had used an 4700uF capacitor.

And so I intend to do further. Where I do wrong?

I will use a single supply voltage.

I will connect the capacitor across the "+" output terminal of the voltage rectifier and transformer's tapping.

I had done that with a multimeter and the results was how I was expected.

How it says in english to the 0 (null ) that is distinct than ground?
I do not understand the last sentence, except that a zero volt reference is not necessarily grounded. I am worried that you may have put a ground in the wrong place.

Please draw a circuit of your power supply, showing any ground connections, and show how you will connect it to your amplifier.

A drawing will help us to avoid linguistic problems. Verbal descriptions of circuits are not easy in any language.

coco243

Joined Sep 2, 2010
In post #35 you have the output polarities shown backwards. If you connected the backwards polarities to the IC then it is destroyed.
I don't think that the integrated circuit is destroyed, because my bridge rectifier is encapsulated an it looks like that:

DSCN0300.jpg

And I have connected it's plus terminal (shown in the picture) to the plus of my circuit, and it's diagonal terminal to the minus of the circuit.

The other two terminals ( the input of the bridge rectifier ) I had connected them to the 12V wires of the transformer.

I will post and the conection's schematic

coco243

Joined Sep 2, 2010
The rectifier output polarity is shown the wrong way round in that diagram.
Yes finally I realized what I had mistaken.

I do not understand the last sentence, except that a zero volt reference is not necessarily grounded. I am worried that you may have put a ground in the wrong place.
What I wanted to ask was that are 2 kind of 0 potential notations.
-the 0V potential that comes from th transformer

-and the ground

Ground is different from the wire that leaves from the transformer. Grounding protect you from electrocution and is named ground, and the other notion I don't know it's notation ( I had been seen the "null" notation but I'm not shure ).

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Ground is just a common connection in a circuit and might include the input and output grounds. Usually it is 0V.
Earth protects you from electrocution and is connected to the the mains earth (ground) wire.

Sometimes a circuit has its ground connected to earth. A portable system has a ground which is not connected to earth.

coco243

Joined Sep 2, 2010
A drawing will help us to avoid linguistic problems. Verbal descriptions of circuits are not easy in any language.
Here is a picture with my supplying circuit:

DSCN0660.JPG

Now I realized, this is the way I connected the capacitor when it blowed:

RectifierBridgeBlow.PNG

And last time when I check I used this circuit and the capacitor didn't blow but I didn't had melody sound to the output and my IC is quiqly overheating:

RectifierBridgeNow.PNG

this 2200uF is my last capacitor for now, and I'm affraid to put it between the transformer tapping and the "+" output terminal of the voltage rectifier. :)

What should I do?

coco243

Joined Sep 2, 2010
If you want plus and minus 16V then the -16V also needs a large filter capacitor.
For now, I just want to get done the single supply amplifier circuit, but last time when I tested the circuit with the filter capacitor placed between the output "+" of the voltage rectifier and the 0V output from the transformer it has blowed up.
How do I know that when I do it again the result will be the same?

And why my IC is heating way out to the limits?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
For a single polarity supply, do not connect the center-tap of the transformer to anything.
The (-) becomes 0V ground for the circuit and for the filter capacitor.
The voltage might be as high as 41VDC without the amplifier playing so the 35V capacitor will blow up. Use a 50V or 63V capacitor.

For a single supply then the input of the amplifier must be biased at half the supply voltage.

The recommended pcb design is shown in the datasheet for the TDA2030A.
If the amplifier is built on a breadboard or uses another kind of tangle of wires then it will probably oscillate at a high frequency which makes it get hot.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Are you quite sure that the pin-out of the IC matches your PCB? This will depend on how the legs are bent and which side of the board you mount the IC on. Are you sure this is correct? A wrong connection to the amplifier could well fry it.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the previous post that your layout is a very long way from ideal. It is very possible for layout strays to lead to instability. You might be much better to start again with a layout based on the manufacturers' recommendations

Apart from that, you may have some other mistake in your circuit somewhere. You should check it over very carefully. My best guess though would be that by now the TDA2030 has probably been damaged, and would need replacement. You might be better to get a better layout rather than risk wasting another IC.

coco243

Joined Sep 2, 2010
It is so strange, but finally I had approached to the problem.

I use a 2 wire cable connected in both ends with 3,5 mm jack to conect the amplifier to my stereo mp4 player.

Now it comes! If I stick the jack plug normally I don't hear almost anything, but if I stick the plug at half at the way It's hears fine.

I know that the jack plug has 3 zones, Tip, Ring, Sleeve.

When I stick the plug just at half of the way I think that I got contact/signal on Ring and Sleeve.
Ok I said, if I seen that if I stick the jack plug half on the way it's woriking and If I connect the plug normaly it's not working I have changed at one of the wire's end, that one that comes to the mp4 player, the wire from Tip - to Ring.
Normaly it was now that the signal to be transmited with the jack plug inserted to the end through the Ring and everithing to work fine, but surprise, it wasn't.

Who can explain that to me please? Thanks.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A plug and jack that use 3 wires for tip, ring and sleeve are for stereo. With mono then usually 2 wires plugs and jacks are used that have only tip and sleeve.

Since you have the wrong plug and jack for mono then connect the signal wire to the tip, connect the (grounded) shield wire to the sleeve and connect nothing to the ring.