AM receivers

mikeonthegreen

Joined Jan 7, 2007
I am currently taking a Communications class. A friend asked an interesting question to me. She had two radios on in the house, both tuned to the same AM station. She went from one room to the other and noticed a delay between the two radios. It stayed like this until she left for work 20 minutes later. It has only happened once. Any thoughts as to what would cause this?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Probably from the speed of sound delay between on speaker and the other. The AM sigmal, propagating at the speed of light, isn't likely to be measurably delayed between receivers.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
AM bounces a lot, there could have been a large vehicle or plane in the area. If it was that pronounced it may have been a plane.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Are you 100% sure they were the same station on the same frequency, and not the same station on different frequencies.... I.E one frequency = station direct, and the other is same station via a link.
That would explain the delay nicely.

harsha4143

Joined Jan 17, 2007
hey.. i took a couple communication classes.. and I think the reason is.. it is very unlikely that a radio receives a direct signal... the signal received is either reflected, deflected etc from an object.. like buildings, vehicles etc...the distance traveled by both the signals is not the same.. and hence one radio may receive a signal a little later than the other...

mikeonthegreen

Joined Jan 7, 2007
hey.. i took a couple communication classes.. and I think the reason is.. it is very unlikely that a radio receives a direct signal... the signal received is either reflected, deflected etc from an object.. like buildings, vehicles etc...the distance traveled by both the signals is not the same.. and hence one radio may receive a signal a little later than the other...
That makes sense. Thanks for the info.