Am I reading this voltage tester wrong?

Shawn333

Joined Oct 26, 2018
I bought this cheap voltage and continuity tester, Reed ST-9902N

I'm trying to get the votages of the breakers in a subpanel, and all I am getting is 12v for one leg, and than 24v for the next.

I'm pretty much a big newb at this. If I test the black and red wires that the power comes into the panel, they too only give me 24v

+VDC

VAC

12 and

I should be getting 120v and 240v???

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
A US breaker panel, for example a mains power entry you should be seeing 240 VAC between the Black and Red lines. Either Black or Red to the White should be 120 VAC (all plus or minus a few volts). You should have two columns of breakers which alternate 120 Volts to the common White line.

REED ST-9902N Voltage/Continuity Tester

Features

• Automatically selects AC voltage, DC voltage or continuity
    • Visual (seven LEDs) and audible (buzzer) continuity indications
    • Non-contact AC voltage detection
    • Automatically turns on and off
    • UL approved
    • Polarity indication
    • Cat. III, 600V safety rating

I will also add unless you are comfortable working in a breaker panel and understand the incoming voltage and how it is distributed you may want to back out before something really bad happens.

Yes, you should be seeing 120 & 240 VAC depending on between which two points you measure. I see where the tester you are using is discontinued and yours could be faulty, that is my guess.

<EDIT> You would likely do better to go to any home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot and buy a cheap (inexpensive) multi-meter.

Ron

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I bought this cheap voltage and continuity tester, Reed ST-9902N

I'm trying to get the votages of the breakers in a subpanel, and all I am getting is 12v for one leg, and than 24v for the next.

I'm pretty much a big newb at this. If I test the black and red wires that the power comes into the panel, they too only give me 24v

+VDC

VAC

12 and

I should be getting 120v and 240v???

A newb shouldn't be sticking their hands into a breaker panel without an experienced person standing by. Touch the wrong thing and they might be reading zero volts on you.

Shawn333

Joined Oct 26, 2018
Thank you for your replies, I tried the meter somewhere else and it works. I think the fuse from the main is blown. Anyhow, no-more messing around with it, you guys are right it is dangerous.