Am I on the right track?

khwang112

Joined Nov 29, 2016
Hi everyone!

So I just started studying electrical technology at a technical college(residential/industrial wiring,electric motor characteristics and etc). My plan was to become an electrical technician, work and gain experience and then go back to school to become an electrical engineer. However, after doing some research, I began to think I'm not studying the right field. Would me, studying electrical technician materials, help/benefit me when I go back to school to become an EE or is it completely different materials? Please help!

Thanks everyone!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm sure there's a region of overlap but in general being an electrician requires a different set of knowledge than needed by an electrical engineer.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
No one can answer that for you over the internet, except to say that hurrying is probably not wise. For one thing, gaining knowledge in a related area is never a minus. Take some time and look into what the requirements for a EE degree are, and what jobs typical EE graduates move into. Many students are put off by the math, others love it. I'd guess it's a longer and more difficult path to a career, but perhaps more rewarding in the long run for the right person. Talk to people in both professions. Take aptitude tests to see what might be a good match for you. Make an informed decision. And then be prepared to change your mind.

khwang112

Joined Nov 29, 2016
No one can answer that for you over the internet, except to say that hurrying is probably not wise. For one thing, gaining knowledge in a related area is never a minus. Take some time and look into what the requirements for a EE degree are, and what jobs typical EE graduates move into. Many students are put off by the math, others love it. I'd guess it's a longer and more difficult path to a career, but perhaps more rewarding in the long run for the right person. Talk to people in both professions. Take aptitude tests to see what might be a good match for you. Make an informed decision. And then be prepared to change your mind.
Yessir! Thank you so much for your wise words. You really did calm me down a bit. I'll be sure to make wise and informed decisions! Thank you once again!

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Would me, studying electrical technician materials, help/benefit me when I go back to school to become an EE or is it completely different materials?
unless it takes you a short period of time to get to an electrical technician's degree, it seems to be too small of a step-up to take the technician route.

but then, maybe that's just how it works where you live.