AirPlay (using a second screen as display) software

sidd342

Joined Oct 9, 2023
Hey,

I'm planning to make a solution similar to CarPlay (that can use the phone to display google maps on a screen)
I want to understand how can we go about it, the driver IC's required and what programming needs to be used.

Thanks

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Before you do anything else, you must start by making a detailed specification of what you want your project to do.
Write a general description of the project. It's called an "executive overview". It does not define any specific hardware or software unless they are existing limitations. Then define all inputs, what functions will be initiated by them and what will be the nature of the results. Once you have done that in detail, you can start looking for suitable physical components and decide which is the optimum way to handle the software.

sidd342

Joined Oct 9, 2023
Before you do anything else, you must start by making a detailed specification of what you want your project to do.
Write a general description of the project. It's called an "executive overview". It does not define any specific hardware or software unless they are existing limitations. Then define all inputs, what functions will be initiated by them and what will be the nature of the results. Once you have done that in detail, you can start looking for suitable physical components and decide which is the optimum way to handle the software.
These are the specifications that I was able to narrow down

• Display Specifications:
    • 7-inch screen size with 720p resolution.
    • Non-touchscreen display.
  • Connectivity:
    • USB-C to multi-purpose connector cable for interfacing with the phone's charging port.
  • Functionality:
    • Display SPI data when the phone is not connected.
    • Display both SPI data and phone data simultaneously when the phone is connected.
  • Implementation Details:
    • Switching mechanism in the display firmware/software to toggle between displaying SPI data and phone data based on connection status.
    • Data formatting and rendering capabilities to properly format and display both types of data.
    • Visual indicators or notifications on the display to indicate the current operating mode.
  • User Interaction:
    • No user controls or interaction with the display.
    • Content displayed as directed by the connected device.
  • Power Delivery:
    • The custom display will not provide power to charge the phone. The USB connection is solely for data transfer.
  • Data Transfer:
    • Minimal data transfer for transmitting necessary packets for display purposes only.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
That's a list of hardware and software requirements. You still have not defined your project, how it will work and what you need to create. All you have stated is that you want something like "CarPlay". I have no idea what that is or what it does. How can you create something that you have not defined in detail?