• Thread starter Deleted member 115935
  • Start date

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
A wonder,

All this AI stuff,
if some one wanted to do a Turing type test with an AI bit,

if they managed to sign it up to the forum,
what sort of questions / responses to the questions / comments would it produce ?

Wonder how it could be prevented / detected ?

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Hello,

A lot of spammers are blocked by the system using StopForumSpam.
https://www.stopforumspam.com/
When the system can not decide, the user will land in the approval queue.
Then the mods and admins can decide to reject or approve the user.
The approval queue is also used when some spamphases are found in a post.

Bertus
Thanks Bretus

it was more of a wonder , if I was an Ai student, what I might have done 40 years ago if technology was avalible.

set up an account on a forum
fill in a few questions / answers myself

That shoudl get around the filters,

all the time the AI bott learns the forum

then un leash the bot on the forum using the same account.

Thanks

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
if they managed to sign it up to the forum,
what sort of questions / responses to the questions / comments would it produce ?
It's already happened. The most memorable that I can remember was a couple of years ago. Within a period of a month or so, AAC had dozens of new members, all with the same cartoon-style avatar, all posting similarly formatted questions/responses. Superficially, their posts seemed legit -- usually a general question or comment about technology -- but the posts didn't actually say anything. I figured someone was testing their AI in preparation for a misinformation campaign, probably around the election.

Wonder how it could be prevented / detected ?
There will come a point when we won't be able to. Arguably, we're already there -- given suitable prompts, GPT-3 would fool most of us, certainly for the first few posts.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
I personally think user (member's name removed by moderator) is a bot. The topics for his postings are wide ranging and are rarely related to one another. He's never shown any work that he's doing nor any concise details. Everything he offers is in generalities. He never seems to deeply understand answers given in response to his questions. I initially attributed his lack of understanding to a language barrier but it seems there's more to it than that. Additionally, his user account is locked down tight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Hola Andrew, who would be the beneficiary of such a bot freely participating?

Collecting what for whom?
Studnets /pranks / benefits , I seem to remember those days 40 year sago , the benefit was Qdos,

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I personally think user meowsoft is a bot. The topics for his postings are wide ranging and are rarely related to one another. He's never shown any work that he's doing nor any concise details. Everything he offers is in generalities. He never seems to deeply understand answers given in response to his questions. I initially attributed his lack of understanding to a language barrier but it seems there's more to it than that. Additionally, his user account is locked down tight.
Well I can't agree with that. Not only have I spoken to him in direct conversation, but he often provides detailed drawings when people ask for them. His style of interaction and idiomatic English are a bit of a barrier to communication, but I would be absolutely shocked to find out he was a bot.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
No, he is a young chinese engineer... I had a buddy who was a Mechanical Engineer for Allison Transmission in Hong Kong. Native born and raised who used to rail about chinese engineers that were not much better than trade high school graduates. They would work for far less than HK engineers and really screwed up the job market. Most only spoke Mandarin and were barely able to read or speak Cantonese which is the language of Hong Kong and is more complex. His English is much better than my Mandarin I must admit.

Last edited:

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Well I can't agree with that. Not only have I spoken to him in direct conversation, but he often provides detailed drawings when people ask for them. His style of interaction and idiomatic English are a bit of a barrier to communication, but I would be absolutely shocked to find out he was a bot.
I stand corrected. From my perspective he seemed a bit odd.

I am curious as to why he jumps around to so many different topics. Can you offer any insight?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I've yet to push the ignore button but there will always be a first time. Had him pegged as a troll but no, he is just young and naive. Probably working his first job out of school which seems to be a hospital build. But I've been fooled before...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I stand corrected. From my perspective he seemed a bit odd.

I am curious as to why he jumps around to so many different topics. Can you offer any insight?
He seems to have a small company that has taken on several low-bid contracts for poorly spec'd projects. He's trying to do a lot of different things for people that he probably shouldn't have agreed to do. He's acknowledged that about some of the projects.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
He seems to have a small company that has taken on several low-bid contracts for poorly spec'd projects. He's trying to do a lot of different things for people that he probably shouldn't have agreed to do. He's acknowledged that about some of the projects.
That'll do it.

To me that seemed like what a bot would do, pick topics randomly from the forum threads and ask questions related to those topics.