Advice on Electronic Board repair

Zeeus

Joined Apr 17, 2019
got a summer job fixing electronic boards (no pay at the moment)

really excited. Learned how to test the bridge rectifier today

Please how do you suggest I go about learning more

Practically know close to 0%

Thanks thanks

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How will you be fixing electronic boards without knowing how to test to see what needs fixing? And soldering and un-soldering of circuit board mounted components needs a fair amount of skill.
So the first step will be learning to read the circuit drawing to know where to use a meter to check for voltages and resistances.
And really, how could anybody represent that they were able to fix electronic boards without understanding how to check them.
I once had a job exactly like that, but all that I had to do was locate the problem and direct a tech person on what to change. But being an out-of-work electronic design engineer at the time, I could do that.
Changing parts is one thing, finding problems is an entirely different thing.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Please how do you suggest I go about learning more
Troubleshooting requires a methodical approach. You identify something that isn't working correctly and trace back from there until you find something that is working.

You can sometimes save time by verifying that the power supply(s) is/are functioning correctly. It doesn't take long and is easy enough to do.

Some people who work with the same circuits for awhile learn to associate certain problems with certain components. When I worked at HP building computers (refrigerator sized based on about a dozen boards with TTL and 3 power supplies) and troubleshooting them to the component level. I always used the diagnostics, including some that I wrote myself, to isolate the defective component and replace it. That was more satisfying than using a method employed by a few of the technicians. They used a method called "the quadrant" or "shotgun" method; they replaced the components in one quadrant of the board and continued until they fixed the problem. Or they put it back in the box so someone else would repair it.

We used to get annoyed at them because we only had one rework station and they'd tie it up replacing half a dozen IC's at a time.

Practically know close to 0%
That means you're going to need someone who knows something to show you the ropes.

Last edited:

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Find some broken electronic things that are broken and try to fix them on your own. Even if you don't get them fixed, you will learn a lot about trouble shooting and everything else related to fixing things.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
got a summer job fixing electronic boards (no pay at the moment)
really excited. Learned how to test the bridge rectifier today
There are two methods, under power if possible, and without any supply, each need a different approach of course and requires some analysis of any reading taken, based on the boards main function.
You signed off '73', does this mean you are a HAM?
If so, I would have expected so degree of electronic knowledge.:(
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the products to be repaired are new production then a non-technical but effective method would be to examine for wrong parts or wrong installation. But for fixing things that did work but now do not work the effective method that I have used for most of my career has been to ask or observe what is not working, and to know how it should work. Then it is a simple matter of knowing which parts are involved with the portion not working. Using that method I have enabled repairs on machines all over the world. From the north side of Hudson Bay to a small town in central Thailand. Fax and email and not even needing any phone calls. Once you know the exact symptomes and how the system works locating the fault is usually not a big challenge.