Advice on a Bachelor's Degree

poopscoop

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Greetings,

I am in my first year of college after spending a few years in the military. I find electricity fascinating, and all of my research points to Engineering degrees as the most employable, highest paying degrees on the market.

I intend to get an Electrical Engineering degree from the Technical Institute of Georgia (GA Tech, #4 Engineering school in the US). However, I would like some input from the more experienced people as to the employability of the degree, work satisfaction, and general lifestyle. Also, what is the practical difference between Electrical and Electronics Engineering? Any suggestions on a better path?

Please include a description of your education and experience in your post.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi,

I was told at a uni open day that Electrical Engineering is to do with the movement of power; think turbines, national grid, motors, etc. Electronic engineering is more to do with the movement of data, like telecommunications, computers, ect.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I was told at a uni open day that Electrical Engineering is to do with the movement of power; think turbines, national grid, motors, etc. Electronic engineering is more to do with the movement of data, like telecommunications, computers, ect.
That definition of electrical engineer is about as accurate as describing an engineer as one who controls a choo choo train.

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
In the US, the terms Electrical and Electronics engineering are almost always interchangeable.

I'm an electrical engineer from GA and while I didn't go to GA Tech, at least 50% of my coworkers on every job I had in GA graduated with a EE from GA Tech. Also my son is about to graduate form GA Tech with a chemical engineering degree. I've written a lot of checks to that school!!:rolleyes:

GA Tech's EE program is always in the top 10 in the US and since its a public university the cost is reasonable. Its a large reserache university so you have access to some of the top EE talent in the country. From an employability standpoint, you can't go wrong with an EE from GA Tech.