Advance #71A6572 Transformer question

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You must be joking ............
This is a, "I've got way to much money and time on my hands"
so I think I'll try making a Plasma-Cutter, Project.

I hope you don't kill yourself or burn-down your house.
Good-Luck, your gonna need it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So I gather you are looking for 120v secondary for the Plasma, which would be around 160vdc after rectification.
If you could find a 2kva transformer that had a 120v/240v dual isolated primaries, you could use one for supply, the other for the plasma.
You would normally reference the table side (+ve DC) to earth GND using a suitably sized conductor.
Also make sure the transformer frame is grounded (earthed).

Rick A

Joined Jul 30, 2010
Dual isolated primaries sounds like it wouldn't be a garden-variety easily-sourced item. I'm following plans from a guy who designed and built one with a basic isolation transformer. It's basically electric, not electronic. I had a commercial unit whose circuit board failed and would cost more to replace than a new cutter and can't be saved by repair shops.
file:///C:/Users/seiko/Downloads/Documents/The_Plasanator_Plasma_Cutter_Plans_2010.pdf
Rick A

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A ballast transformer might be a good choice for a plasma cutter, which is an arc-type of device. But still there is no isolation and so that is still a problem.
If we had been aware of the application the advice would have been different from the start.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The link you provided in post #24 looks like a link to a file on YOUR COMPUTER which we have no access to. You would need to upload it to this site or make it accessible via a website. (this is so we have some idea of the design that you plan to build.)

Les.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Out of interest I Googled the filename part of the URL that Rick provided and I think I have found the design. This is the URL that I found. http://theplasmacutterman.com/files/The_Plasanator_Plasma_Cutter_Plans_2010.pdf
It generates the main 340 volts DC for the plasma cutting by voltage doubling rectification of 120 volts AC.
I think in post #20 Rick says he has an isolating transformer that can provide 240 volts AC. If this is so then he could just rectify this to get the 340 (Or so.) volts DC. As the capacitors are connected in series it would be a good idea to add suitable value resistors in parallel with the capacitors to make them share the voltage. (Just using one capacitor would be running it too close to it's maximum voltage rating.)

Les.

Rick A

Joined Jul 30, 2010
Les,
Didn't know the file from my computer couldn't be opened or I'd have tried harder to find a link on the web. The originator of the device mentioned that it could be run off either 240 or 120 but only published the 120v input design. He entertains questions and comments on his site so I'll ask him for his take on your suggestion. I'd be happy to do it that way.

Thank you
Rick A