Adding time delay auto door lock

Ed C

Joined Jun 26, 2017
Does anyone know if it is possible to make a setup to auto lock the car doors, upon vehicle shutdown and exit? Say some sort of adjustable timer?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Does anyone know if it is possible to make a setup to auto lock the car doors, upon vehicle shutdown and exit? Say some sort of adjustable timer?
If you don't carry a spare key or have a combination lock, you're going to be sorry; assuming it's possible to hack the computer...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Then you could locate the wire from the door lock and hack into that.
A couple of 555 timers could likely provide the delay and generate the pulse to then lock the doors after vehicle shutdown by connecting to that wire.
You would need to measure the voltage on that wire to see what is needed to lock the doors (likely 12V).

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
I would say there are things out there that are built already with Loads of protections built into this...

First. You loan the car to your daughter/son/brother/mom/dad or anyone at all. You tell them or they just don't get the whole Idea and forget about it while stopping for gas, or a pop or for what ever reason. They close door to car with the key in the car. After said time from Timer Circuit it locks door now your keys are locked inside...

With a system that is already built, They most times have some type of Transponder setup to protect the car from locking the keys in side auto...

Most good alarms have Auto Lock that you can setup even without a Transponder setup but you take the risk of locking your keys in the car if you turn it on. Most times people can be forgetful and the alarm is setup to keep your car safe that means will also arm and protect the car.

Alarm systems are so cheap why try and re-invent the wheel.

Ed C

Joined Jun 26, 2017
I would say there are things out there that are built already with Loads of protections built into this...

First. You loan the car to your daughter/son/brother/mom/dad or anyone at all. You tell them or they just don't get the whole Idea and forget about it while stopping for gas, or a pop or for what ever reason. They close door to car with the key in the car. After said time from Timer Circuit it locks door now your keys are locked inside...

With a system that is already built, They most times have some type of Transponder setup to protect the car from locking the keys in side auto...

Most good alarms have Auto Lock that you can setup even without a Transponder setup but you take the risk of locking your keys in the car if you turn it on. Most times people can be forgetful and the alarm is setup to keep your car safe that means will also arm and protect the car.

Alarm systems are so cheap why try and re-invent the wheel.

As stated above, the truck has a keypad, so no you cannot lock yourself out. I simply want something to lock the doors, when I forget.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Understand. Just wanted to make sure that it is known for others that may or may not try what someone may offer. If they don't have some type of extra safety entry feature.

for under 40 with some nice features I would say that the Pro 9775T would be a good thing with many features you can grow into if you didn't want to install them all to start with. There are a lot of things that it offers however there are many more that could be in other systems as well. For the money it is a nice system

Not me or anyone I know and don't endorse them in anyway. Just an item and the place I found for under 40 that it could be picked up. Sure may not be built by you but it works and was built by people that have many different offers and EE and techs designing and building them as a living.. Thought I would share as an option

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiovox-Pu...040312&hash=item2a789a5693:g:B4IAAOSwCU1Yxr82

Ed C

Joined Jun 26, 2017
Understand. Just wanted to make sure that it is known for others that may or may not try what someone may offer. If they don't have some type of extra safety entry feature.

for under 40 with some nice features I would say that the Pro 9775T would be a good thing with many features you can grow into if you didn't want to install them all to start with. There are a lot of things that it offers however there are many more that could be in other systems as well. For the money it is a nice system

Not me or anyone I know and don't endorse them in anyway. Just an item and the place I found for under 40 that it could be picked up. Sure may not be built by you but it works and was built by people that have many different offers and EE and techs designing and building them as a living.. Thought I would share as an option

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiovox-Pu...040312&hash=item2a789a5693:g:B4IAAOSwCU1Yxr82

Thanks, I think if i used something like that, I would need something that locked the doors automatically. I dont want all of the other stuff, because I dont want to carry a second FOB.

Thanks

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Understand the Second Fob thing. However with most Aftermarket Keyless and Remote Start features systems out there that is one of the better features of these systems. They by far have more distance then any OEM remote that isn't tied to a Cell Phone. Again I wasn't saying by any means you needed to use all the features. However I can tell you one of the biggest mistakes people make is they buy something that gives them options they want only. Then find out they have friends or see others that have other things yours don't do and then spend extra money to have it installed at some places they even charge to un install the first one...

So for me and the cost and what it offers, you could get the thing, Stop using the Fob that don't work far to a new fob that can do everything you current fob can plus the ability to be at the back of the house and unlock the car for the Son, Daughter or Wife or so on. If you only want the Auto lock feature it would be hard to find a nice keyless with options and distance that don't cost as much as the one I was showing...

Then a year down the road or so, you move into an area where the Temps are Very bad winter time. -9 Degrees and think to your self A nice Remote start system would be nice, I would be able to keep my car warm, or warm it up in the cold weather.... Well with that one even if you only used the lock part of it would be so easy to add the rest at a later date... Sure if you didn't do it your self then there would be extra cost...

One thing that is nice over a 48 hour period your car can auto start ever 2 or 4 hours, to keep the temps in the motor from the extreme colds. Again I am not trying to sell you on anything. That isn't my account and they don't know me I don't know them... I was just trying to offer the pros of something even if it isn't something you would use 100% today but with the cost.. There are others out there.. Again I was just offering some ideas. There are cheaper units out there, offer less may or may not offer what your looking for... I do wish you the best in your Quest and find what you need..

Good Luck
James