ADC

amit.31

Joined Aug 29, 2011
Hi,

:(

I want to start working an ADC which is having specifications:
Sampling rate: 40 kilo samples per sec
Resolution : 12 bits

So, d probem is i m a bit confused :confused: like which ADC should i choose to start working on and where would i get more information regarding moving further in this work.
Also help me out regarding the applications of such type of ADC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)
Thank you.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
When I started with ADC stuff, it was a module inside a mcu,but their are also external modules available, but you have to decide how you are going to interface the ADC module with your processing unit. You may use serial interface or parallel interface.

If you chose parallel interface most beginners do that, then you can use ADS8506 from Texas Instruments. Or you can use ADC's from Analog Devices like AD7934 to AD7936

If you chose to use serial interface like SPI then you can use Microchip's MCP3202 or MCP3204 it have more channels.

Google for datasheets.

You didn't said anything about your application i.e.. why you need that kind of ADC.

Good Luck

amit.31

Joined Aug 29, 2011
Thanks a lot sir...:)

Sir actually this is my thesis topic and i have to do its CMOS implementation. So, today i searched for it n i found dat i can work with with sigma delta ADC or successive approximation type ADC for the specifications i have mentioned in the post. So, that's why i m in confusion like with which one i should start working further.

Last edited:

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Actually you have to tell us what kind of signal you are trying to sample and what is the purpose. But in general....
which one i should start working further.

Go with successive approximation type ADC,they are cheap, easily available ,targets 18,12 and 16 bits and it can sample signals at speed in lower MHz range. They suffer with noise problems.

On the other hand sigma-delta ADCs use over sampling to obtain very high resolution. They can sample signals of low MHz range. Consume low power. They are typically available for 16 to 24 bits resolution.

Thanks a lot sir...
yaar sir na bol,buddha buddha sa feel hota hai

Good Luck