ADC for Hygrometer?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
What you have is two electrodes to push into the soil. The resistance between the two will decrease as the water content of the soil increases so to get an indication of the water content, measure the resistance between the two pins.

The simplest way, if you have a multimeter, is to use that to read the resistance.

outro

Joined Mar 7, 2017
What you have is two electrodes to push into the soil. The resistance between the two will decrease as the water content of the soil increases so to get an indication of the water content, measure the resistance between the two pins.

The simplest way, if you have a multimeter, is to use that to read the resistance.
Okay, so in general I won't need need an ADC? I was just wondering, because most of the sensors had it in the pack.
I am working with Arduino / ESP8266-12E

outro

Joined Mar 7, 2017
Okay, wonderful!
I am getting the values now finally after trial and error.

But not to make things too easy I would like to make this project without Arduino.

The idea is quite simple, analog value <500 lights the red led and >500 for green.
I was trying to find schematics etc but I am having a hard time, maybe I don't really know what I'm looking for.

In short:

analog sensor --> IC? thresold < 500? redLed() : greenLed() # pseudocode....

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I did a search for " ESP8266 12 ADC and got many hits. This is one that may help. I have not tried using the ADC on an ESP8266 myself.

Les.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
IC wise you are looking for comparator.
You will also need a reference voltage that correspond to that 500 value.
Depending on the sensor output, you may need to amplify sensor output and then feed it to comparator.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MiguelSobral General Electronics Chat 2