AD9280 how to read - discussion and ideas

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I intend to make a plan. Buy AD9280, A/D 8 bits 32MS/s

How to read it with cheap components at 32MS/s?

My ideas are:
- SRAM IC with 10nS like AC7C256 (2$)
I searched for an IC to increment its memory addresses at the desired speed:
7493/7494/74194
- or read it with dsPIC32MZ the fastest PIC. That would be the easiest solution. But it's $ 15 and it's beyond my target.

I'm waiting for other ideas.
I intend to protect A/D input with a zener and get the input signal(0...5V) right there.
It will be a rudimentary oscilloscope, which will then be modified as needed.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I intend to protect A/D input with a zener and get the input signal(0...5V) right there.
It will be a rudimentary oscilloscope, which will then be modified as needed.
What do you mean by "rudimentary"? Give some of your requirements for bandwidth and update rate.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
It's possible to build a controller for ram that simply steps a counter through the addresses and handles the hand shaking. But getting the data in is only half the problem, you still have to get it out to use it in a program.

Instead, I'd look at microcontrollers that have DMA. You basically point the DMA channel at some memory and the source (or sink) device and say go. Very powerful hardware feature. The Cortex M4 has decent DMA and you can buy a Teensy 3.2 for $20. But it will still never be close to a decent bandwidth for an Oscope. Even better, learn how to write VHDL and program an FPGA for something that could get close to what you want. That's going to be more expensive.