Accidently plugin 220V for Philips 120V water flosser, how to fix?

nobtiba

Joined Oct 30, 2023
Hi,

I bought a Phillips water flosser from Amazon and I forgot to take note that it shipped from the US to Singapore where we have different voltage usage. I plugged it in our 220V socket but I did not hear any sound or smoke, it just did not turn on, no LED light, no working. Then I try to plug in my transformer to step down from 220V to 120V but it was still no working: no LED light, no working.
When opening the device, I see no fuse but also did not any burning sign.
Please take a look at the following photos:
370118368_640315321633489_6929307632451546355_n.jpg
397891360_2332737403591572_8362393357720957823_n.jpg
397423064_308891911903612_5520948479810915101_n.jpg
How could I check it and if it is spoilt, how could I fix it please?

Thank you so much for your help!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Near the AC input is a black rectangular component labelled T250mA. That's a fuse (type T), which has probably gone open circuit. If you have a multimeter, test the fuse. Hopefully it will have protected the rest of the circuit, but there's no guarantee.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The first step is to test the fuse F1 for continuity. While you are measuring resistances also measure R1 which I think is a fusible resistor. R1 is probably OK as they normally have visible damage when they fail. Both F1 and R1 are probably in series with the mains input.

Les.

nobtiba

Joined Oct 30, 2023
Is there any way I can test with the multi-meter without the need to use the solder to take it out and measure? I want to make sure that it is the one that is spoilt before taking it out and buying a new one to replace it. The place to buy is very far and I will go tomorrow so I want to make sure I have all the info I need to buy and fix it in one shot.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is there any way I can test with the multi-meter without the need to use the solder to take it out and measure?
You can use an ohmmeter to check fuse resistance. It will be open circuit if it's bad. Make sure the device isn't powered...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There's almost no way you can guarantee that you can fix it in one shot.

You can try to measure the resistance across the fuse terminals. As long as there is no parallel path from one side to the other (and that's probably a reasonable assumption when talking about a fuse), you should get a pretty low resistance measurement if it is good. Do the same for R1.

I'm guessing that U2 is an MOV. I haven't done much with AC power circuits, so I'm not sure. Also not sure how easily it might have gotten damaged. But given that the purpose of an MOV is to shunt the currents when an overvoltage is applied, and that this process is somewhat destructive, I would not be surprised to see that MOV (if that's what it is) be damaged.

Without taking it out of the circuit, I don't know a good way to measure it since it probably does have paths that are in parallel with it.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Three things you need to check, Fuse, Resistor and Mov, using a multimeter on Ohms.

It's a transformerless supply, so the only thing that would be damaged is the large Capacitor and the chip, if the fuse isn't blown

IMG_20231030_154601.jpg

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Could I test by just short-circuiting the diode T250ma by a wire and see if the machine is working?
Yes, but I wouldn’t do it because you could damage the device beyond repair. The 220V may have damaged another component which then caused the fuse to blow. By bypassing the fuse, whatever it was protecting is no longer protected and may then be destroyed.

nobtiba

Joined Oct 30, 2023
Also there is no number, spec or anything about the MOV (U2) so I do not know if it is damaged, how could I buy the similar one to replace it?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Also there is no number, spec or anything about the MOV (U2) so I do not know if it is damaged, how could I buy the similar one to replace it?
The part usually has some markings on it and that is often enough to find something comparable.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Why are you ignoring the advice you have been given. Doing the resistance tests will only take seconds. Why do you want to short out one of the diodes ? You don't even tell us which one of the seven diode you want to short out. I think you will have to use mail order to get a replacement fuse of the same type. I don't know of a supplier for that type of fuse. (Others might have suggestions.)

Les.

nobtiba

Joined Oct 30, 2023
Thanks all for your support, I bought the replacement fuse (and resistors) but only by changing the fuse did the machine start functioning again.
However, I'm uncertain if it's working correctly as it shakes a lot and the pump isn't as strong as expected. It's challenging to determine if this is the intended performance or a result of my inexperience with the machine. I chose this model based on positive reviews that praised its strength and silence, but my experience has been the opposite. Nevertheless, I'm thrilled that it's operational again. Thank you all so much!