AC Receptacle On Custom Enclosure - How Is This Done?

Mahonroy

Joined Oct 21, 2014
Hey guys,
I have a plastic enclosure with the AC 3 prong holes in it, similar to this picture:
outlet.png
What is the process for putting the AC contacts behind the holes? I was hoping there would be some AC receptacles without the faceplate/bezel, basically just the contacts... even a PCB mount version of this that can just sit behind the holes. This does not seem to exist. How is this normally done?

So I understand that most people just use the panel mount AC receptacles that either snap in, or bolt in, like this:

I cannot use this because the enclosure has the 3 holes in the enclosure, so something needs to sit behind the holes if that makes sense? It seems that if I were to just mount a receptacle behind it, there would be twice as much plastic causing the prong grabbers to be further away, possible making it not hold onto a plug properly?

What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Mere mortals cannot make pins to support an AC outlet. Leave that to the socket manufacturer who has the 100,000 units to cover the design testing and certification of the outlet.

For my box I would hog out all thos holes till I had square openings to accept the complete sockets in your lower image.

Simpler, safer, and still good looking.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
hog out all those holes till I had square openings to accept the complete sockets
It's easier than it looks. One guy asked me who made the face panel for me. I did. Just pencil in the shape you want, fill it with as many round holes as you can fit in the shape, some work with a nibbler, and use a file to finish the job. Presto! Can't tell it was made by an amateur.:p

Mahonroy

Joined Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for the info!
So is this something that the plastic manufacturer of the enclosure would have to design and build into the enclosure? There are no other possible ways of doing this?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Have you contacted the enclosure manufacturer? If they make an enclosure with the holes they most likely have the receptacle to use in it.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What is the process for putting the AC contacts behind the holes? I was hoping there would be some AC receptacles without the faceplate/bezel, basically just the contacts... even a PCB mount version of this that can just sit behind the holes. This does not seem to exist. How is this normally done?
If you insist on using the original holes your best option would be to take an other outlet system that is of a similar design and cut its face off and attach it behind yours.

If you know what plastics are used in each part finding a proper glue or thermal bonding process to solidly attach one to the other should not be that hard.

Other wise you are stuck with what other have said and modifying your face to accept a different type of snap in outlet in place of what you have now.