AC line over voltage and undervoltage sensing

Saina Biswas

Joined Jun 5, 2023
Is there any sensor that can sense live AC voltage and give digital output so I can read and set the threshold for under & over-voltage conditions?
I found an electronic module named ZMPT101B.
I just want to know if is it viable or not. Does it provide electrical isolation between AC and DC circuits?
Module link: ZMPT101B Module

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That module using a transformer and so each side is galvanically isolated up to the breakdown voltage of the transformer insulation. The connection between input from the mains and the low voltage circuitry is effectively a magnetic one between the transformer’s windings.

Saina Biswas

Joined Jun 5, 2023
That module using a transformer and so each side is galvanically isolated up to the breakdown voltage of the transformer insulation. The connection between input from the mains and the low voltage circuitry is effectively a magnetic one between the transformer’s windings.
So the AC line part is galvanically isolated from the digital circuit. Can I safely connect to the microcontroller to read the analog value ?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
So the AC line part is galvanically isolated from the digital circuit. Can I safely connect to the microcontroller to read the analog value ?
You can but don’t forget that the output is a sinewave that is proportional to the mains voltage. You have to sample the sinewave and work out its rms value, and then compare it to the maximum and minimum mains voltages.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Is there any sensor that can sense live AC voltage and give digital output so I can read and set the threshold for under & over-voltage conditions?
I found an electronic module named ZMPT101B.
I just want to know if is it viable or not. Does it provide electrical isolation between AC and DC circuits?
Module link: ZMPT101B Module

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Usually an AC range of an accurate digital multimeter will provide the required display of the actual AC voltage present. The decision is left to the user.