*** AC inductor help, Challenge ***

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Hi all
I am trying to source AC inductors, I know these are difficult to source off the shelf, even if you could suggest a manufacturer that could make them that would be exteremly useful the following are the properties I am after:

Inductor 1:
22uH, 13 Arms, 17A Peak

Inductor 2:
10uH, 20 Arms, 26A Peak

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Arthur

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Wind them yourself using a suitable wire Guage that will carry that current. I suggest 12 or 14 Guage enameled magnet wire.

2 in. Dia.
1.5 inch length
16 turns for 10uH
23 turns for 22uH

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi all
I am trying to source AC inductors, I know these are difficult to source off the shelf, even if you could suggest a manufacturer that could make them that would be exteremly useful the following are the properties I am after:

Inductor 1:
22uH, 13 Arms, 17A Peak

Inductor 2:
10uH, 20 Arms, 26A Peak

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Arthur
There is no such thing as a DC inductor. By definition inductors only work with AC. Perhaps it would be more correct to say High Voltage, High Current, Low frequency inductors suitable for use at power line frequencies. I think winding your own is a terrific idea, and probably way cheaper than having them custom fabricated. Use google to find vendors of toroid cores. Enamel coated magnet wire can be found from numerous online vendors. For air core inductors you can use PVC pipe which comes in a variety of diameters and can be easily cut to length.

Having an LC bridge or an impedance analyzer will be helpful in measuring the results of your experiments.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Why do you think winding a micro-Henry inductor is a "Challenge" when you can Google how to do it?

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
this is for a bidirectional charger the problem I am having is that if I wished to get several products say in the 100's range it would be unsuitable to have every inductor made by hand I would prefer a more scalable solution if no one can up with one that is fine I thought I would check if anything already exists

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I am trying to source AC inductors, I know these are difficult to source off the shelf,
About as difficult as you find typing in a proper a online search.

I found over a dozen of each of those values you specified in less than a minute all to be had for between $3 and $10 depending on the source. :rolleyes:

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Wind them yourself using a suitable wire Guage that will carry that current. I suggest 12 or 14 Guage enameled magnet wire.

2 in. Dia.
1.5 inch length
16 turns for 10uH
23 turns for 22uH
hi thank you so much, could you suggest what I should use for the core, and do you have any resources that I could look at to get to those calculations could you provide the working out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Arthur

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
About as difficult as you find typing in a proper a online search.

I found over a dozen of each of those values you specified in less than a minute all to be had for between $3 and $10 depending on the source. :rolleyes:
no you see the problem is that some of the inductors you are probably looking at are just standard Inductors that are used to filter or to store and discharge in DC applications. I am looking for an inductor that doesn't have a DC offset and works both in the positive and negative.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
no you see the problem is that some of the inductors you are probably looking at are just standard Inductors that are used to filter or to store and discharge in DC applications. I am looking for an inductor that doesn't have a DC offset and works both in the positive and negative.
Yes. I follow. AC line filtering applications.

Internet search with the right criteria. Dozen plus variation of both found in less than a minute all for between $3 - $10. :rolleyes:

http://www.bourns.com/docs/Product-Datasheets/2300ll_series.pdf

Just one of many.

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Yes. I follow. AC line filtering applications.

Internet search with the right criteria. Dozen plus variation of both found in less than a minute all for between $3 - $10. :rolleyes:
would you mind posting up a link to these I was unable to find any would be greatly appreciated.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Let me repeat this in words of one syllable or less.
  1. Inductors don't have DC offsets.
  2. Inductors only work in AC circuits.
  3. There are no DC applications for inductors.
To work in high voltage or high current applications you just have to use wire with a larger cross sectional area. Rule of thumb is 700 circular mils per Ampere. The only other consideration is the insulation for high voltage applications.

Here is an AWG chart
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
mate you don't understand what I'm trying to say I was referencing the current graphs you get I know they only work in AC circuits if you don't want to help I suggest you don't reply on this thread other who understand have been helping out a lot

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Well since you apparently know more than we do our links to such devices wouldn't be worth your time or the insult to you superior knowledge of such things anyway. :rolleyes:

Find them yourself smart guy. If us dummies can find them certainly you can to. :oops:

To help you on your way. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...3.69i57j0l5.9184j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I was suggesting that yourself and the others in this post have been exteremly useful sorry if it seemed like I was insulting you it just frustrated me that the other user was providing irrelevant information I am just looking for an inductor and he provided me with unnecessary information that did not answer the question

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have a rough count of 21 words there and most are multisylablic.

Then just this morning I was working on a DC power supply and raveling at the large inductors at the DC input.