AC induction motor with no capacitor

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That motor is called a split-phase motor, and I too have a lathe that runs on it. They're very stable when their attain their designed speeds. The split phase only works during startup, after which a centrifugal switch disengages said phase off.

Here's a pic of my motor's plate:

Placa Motor.jpg

Also, check this page 187 of the Marathon Motors catalog.

1672849546207.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Consider now that " the slight time that the voltage is delayed by the cap " is another way of describing a "phase shift."
Sorry that I used a term that you did not understand. A phase shift is defined as a delay in the voltage change. Except when it is talking about current.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Consider now that " the slight time that the voltage is delayed by the cap " is another way of describing a "phase shift."
Sorry that I used a term that you did not understand. A phase shift is defined as a delay in the voltage change. Except when it is talking about current.
Oh I understood, and was just trying to say something you would understand. But you now seem to have changed your mind about the cap giving greater starting torque. Remember saying -
the capacitor -start scheme does provide greater starting torque than the motors that use the two different windings.