AC current restriction

StudentRob

Joined Oct 1, 2020
Hi all,

I'm involved in a project which looking to power 8 channels of controllable LED tape (WS2811 RGB digital 60 12V) with up to 12m of LED tape per channel, split into 1.2m LED bars.
I don't want to power inject so I'm looking at AC supply from the controller through each LED bar, converting locally with a 12V PSU to the LEDs. Each LED bar will carry the 12V data signal from the controller as well as 230VAC onto the next light in a daisy chain.
Initial testing confirms it works however, the system can draw more current than a domestic circuit can supply (18W per 1.2m ÷ 12V = 1.5A per LED bar).
What I'd like to do is limit the AC current across all eight channels to allow no more than 12A collectively, allowing some current for the controller PCB. I don't want anything to trip and need manually resetting like an MCB, or to simply restrict each channel to an eigth. I'd like the controller to provide current to as many channels as are used, with a collective cap on the overall draw.
Is this possible?

Kind regards
Rob

StudentRob

Joined Oct 1, 2020
Hi Eric,

Thank you.
No, it's a work project.
We supply lighting and control systems to Lighting Designers and are venturing an idea that would provide an easy fitting, cost effective solution to linear lighting.
Using the theory that AC won't need injecting like DC would, power is only needed at the start of the channel.