AC circuit breaker

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am an application engineer, I just want to confirm the connection that I have drawn
I was trying to warn you for your own safety. I thought you were attempting some ill-advised do-it-yourself hack. So why didn't you post what you have drawn? Just because I'm not qualified to answer the question doesn't mean the answer is not available.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Seems to conform to normal practice, but AC is not usually marked +&- , but L & N.
IOW, AC reverses polarity and are identical, but just that one is generally referenced to Earth GND.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What has been assumed is that the "Main power supply" is a distribution panel, and not the power cord of a separate system or package.
The "information" states that the TS is a "student", not an applications engineer.

As for connecting a 230 volts input to a power supply, breaking both sides of the line is acceptable and safe, covering the possibility of the connections being reversed, if it is in an area where the mains source is 230 volts, one side being neutral. It is also correct in the US, where 230 volts will not have one side tied to neutral.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
if it is in an area where the mains source is 230 volts, one side being neutral. It is also correct in the US, where 230 volts will not have one side tied to neutral.
If truly 230v then it could be the UK, where it is one phase and star neutral. in N.A. it would be 240v .

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If truly 230v then it could be the UK, where it is one phase and star neutral. in N.A. it would be 240v .
In many parts of the US, that "240" is more like 230 volts, or even 225 volts some days. And the 120 is often about 117, or down to 115 some days.
Mains voltages are nominal, design targets, not constant, at least not that I have experienced.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In many parts of the US, that "240" is more like 230 volts, or even 225 volts some days. And the 120 is often about 117, or down to 115 some days.
Mains voltages are nominal, design targets, not constant, at least not that I have experienced.
In the U.S., and in fact everywhere in North America, the standard voltage is 120v- 240v , established in USA as a standard in 1967.
Also According to ANSI C84.1, it has been in effect since 1954 !
Where I am it is usually on the high side, if anything.

Last edited:

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
Something very important you have not considered in relation to the circuit breaker is its breaking current. Many SMPS are rated for connection to a branch circuit rated at 20A, but this is not always so. Given that your circuit breaker is only protecting the SMPS from an overload/fault current, a SMPS with a 240W output would be OK with a 5A breaker at 230V~ input.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
NO, the circuit breaker is not protecting the SMPS, it is protecting the supply circuit from an overload if the SMPS or it's cord has a problem. The internal fuse protects the power supply. Any protection of the power supply is a side benefit.