AC 220V relay causes hum inside metal chassis

armaster

Joined Mar 28, 2022
Hi,

I have audio power amplifier which is in metal chassis. Inside the metal cassis, I put AC220V driven relay to switch mains power on/off with switch. It works but if but if I close metal chassis, I hear hum of the relay (hum is not present in speakers). If metal chassis is opened there is no hum also if I disconnect relay from AC mains and power amplifier directly, there is no hum.

How can I eliminate hum?

Thanks for your answers

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi,

I have audio power amplifier which is in metal chassis. Inside the metal cassis, I put AC220V driven relay to switch mains power on/off with switch. It works but if but if I close metal chassis, I hear hum of the relay (hum is not present in speakers). If metal chassis is opened there is no hum also if I disconnect relay from AC mains and power amplifier directly, there is no hum.

How can I eliminate hum?

Thanks for your answers
The hum is caused by the coil of the relay being powered by the 50Hz AC from the mains. You could switch to a DC relay which would not make the sound, or possibly to an external AC relay in a purpose built case that suppresses the noise.

Also possible is an SSR (Solid State Relay) which would be completely silent and could be run form the mains.

I should also add that the duty cycle rating of the relay you are currently using should be checked. If it is noisy I suspect it might not be intended to operate continuously and it might overheat.