A year and a day

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
No judgement here... After I posted, it occurred to me that the migraines I get on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis are sometimes bad enough to make that short list. But that's so commonplace to me that it didn't come to mind. I've had some muscle cramps too that I swear I was only moments away from my muscle separating from the bone. Getting kicked in the balls hurts pretty bad too.
Some of the migraines I've had definitely rank right up there with that back sprain. The only thing in their favor is that, for me, they seldom last more than six hours and so I can focus on that thought as I lay there in total agony. A bad gout flare shoots up pretty high on the list, too -- I was shocked at how incredibly painful that is. I think I'll take a good ball kicking over migraines or gout or back sprains any day, despite how much pain is involved in that little endeavor.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I haven't directly mentioned it here before but last year I had major back surgery on L4 L4 and S1 (lower back) to not only snip back the disks but more importantly to cut away the bones in my spine as the openings were way too small to fit the nerves. If not for a very few days of major back pain I would never have figured out the tiredness in my legs was due to the motor nerves being squashed.

Now at about the 10 month mark my mobility is quite good as the nerves reconnect and the muscles learn to pull and move me once more. My left ankle is still weak though only an issue on soft surfaces; it no longer turns out when just walking on solid floors. Stairs are still an issue: I can go up on my own but it takes a lot of work.

Over all I am quite satisfied, mostly due to my father having the same condition but he was mis-diagnosed as having ALS and spent the end of his life bed bound.

I did have an issue with someone last night: when I move I do it at my own pace, and sometimes will stand still as I mentally rehearse some “tricky” move, like as was the case stepping off a boar to a dock. A long time acquaintance “commiserated” with me saying “I know, it’s a struggle.” No, it is not a struggle, it just takes some effort, maybe my complete effort to do something you find trivial, but I can do it and would prefer to do it without your commentary.

I’m not handicapped I’m handy-capable damn it.
Glad the surgery has served you well and hope you continue to improve. As for the comment from your friend, take a moment to consider it from their perspective and recognize that they are in a bit of a Catch-22. If they say nothing, then they are at risk of appearing "insensitive to your condition", but if they say something then they are at risk of appearing "insensitive to your condition".

Joined Nov 30, 2010
At risk of appearing a busybody, may I inquire as to the precipitating event?
1) I have located the main pain as the place that hurt for three days when I was kicked from behind in 1961. I have had episodes of back pain and muscle spasms since then. It pretty much depends on the integral of all the work I have done in the most recent four days.
2) I refuse to let pain stop me.
3) I refuse to act my age.
4) Lifting that couch entirely over my head, then leaning back over the retaining wall to get it through the door, was probably a serious part of the last mistake.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Glad the surgery has served you well and hope you continue to improve. As for the comment from your friend, take a moment to consider it from their perspective and recognize that they are in a bit of a Catch-22. If they say nothing, then they are at risk of appearing "insensitive to your condition", but if they say something then they are at risk of appearing "insensitive to your condition".
I am reminded of the time that Doctor Frankenstein noted to his assistant his credentials as a brilliant surgeon and offered his assistance with Igor’s hump.

“What hump?” was the perfect reply.

Sensitive to my “condition” should begin and end with “how are you doing?” If I feel like discussing it I will. If all I offer is “I’m good, how are you?” then that is all I have for you.

I don’t mind direct (if polite) questions, I do mind assumptions based on little to no information.

I have located the main pain as the place that hurt for three days when I was kicked from behind in 1961. I have had episodes of back pain and muscle spasms since then. It pretty much depends on the integral of all the work I have done in the most recent four days.
So the pain's been 'dogging' you for over 50 years!:eek::(

Lifting that couch entirely over my head, then leaning back over the retaining wall to get it through the door, was probably a serious part of the last mistake.
Yikes!:(

2) I refuse to let pain stop me.
3) I refuse to act my age.
Considering the cruel test to which fate has put your resolve -- Your tenacity is as admirable and enviable as it is substantial!:cool:

Very Best regards
HP

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Courage and ambitious stupidity tend to look a lot alike some days. :oops:

Believe me I am and experienced expert in the practices of the second one. :p

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You should try some light deadlifts to strengthen your back muscles. They helped me with my back problems.
Every doctor and physical therapist I have met seems to think that being able to move furniture and load trucks for days in a row, and then lift a couch completely over your head, indicates weak muscles. I, on the other hand, think that if weak muscles cause herniated disks, thousands of pampered little rich girls should be paraplegics.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Those aren't weak back muscles but bad form while lifting heavy objects.Try to keep your abs tight while lifting something heavy should feel better:p.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that the next time I lean backwards over a retaining wall with a couch over my head.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
:eek: Gosh... I was going to tell you about the worst physical ever experience in my life... one of excruciating suffering and pain... the most horrifying, nerve-wracking event that I've ever had to face ... that is, the time in which I had my wisdom teeth removed...
But then I read your stories, and I thought.... never mind :confused::oops:

I've been blessed with almost perfect health throughout my life (so far.... knock knock on wood) but I've seen severe suffering firsthand, and personally aided those in need... so even if I don't really know what it's like, at least I can empathize. Only thing bothering me at this point is a shoulder injury, but it's getting better every day.

@#12, you said:
Then I got eight broken bones in less than one second
I'm curious... what happened?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Twenty five.

I prefer not to elaborate on this because it gets tragic really fast. Full time college student, Honor Roll grades while taking Calculus, Chemistry, and Physics at the same time. Was accepted at Cal-Poly Pomona. Leaving my job calibrating automatic lasers after loading a 2 ton truck with 20 foot long, creosoted 12 by 12's (alone). Bicycle, drunk driver, no insurance, sudden changes in priorities.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Twenty five.

I prefer not to elaborate on this because it gets tragic really fast. Full time college student, Honor Roll grades while taking Calculus, Chemistry, and Physics at the same time. Was accepted at Cal-Poly Pomona. Leaving my job calibrating automatic lasers after loading a 2 ton truck with 20 foot long, creosoted 12 by 12's (alone). Bicycle, drunk driver, no insurance, sudden changes in priorities.
Good Lord... well.. I'm glad to hear you're better. And whatever happened afterwards you've seem to overcome pretty well... talk about a character building experience ...