A simple one to answer i hope, be able to identify this component.

Noob ian

Joined Jan 31, 2022
Hi I am completely new to this forum and to electronics in general. I like tinkering and trying to repair old and new electronics but I am not technical I just get by. I was hoping some one may be able to identify this though. It appears to have a short across it and it gets hotter than the sun when power is on. It says cucpc but im not entirely sure what it is to get a replacement. Many thanks in advanceIMG-20220131-WA0000.jpeg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

We might be able to help but it is unlikely the markings on that IC are going to be very useful.

We need more information.

What is the device in?
What is the thing it is in doing/not doing that makes you think it needs to be repaired?

Can you take a photo that gives more context, showing the board?

Noob ian

Joined Jan 31, 2022
Welcome to AAC.

We might be able to help but it is unlikely the markings on that IC are going to be very useful.

We need more information.

What is the device in?
What is the thing it is in doing/not doing that makes you think it needs to be repaired?

Can you take a photo that gives more context, showing the board?
Yes so this is a power board from a Japanese game console retro freak. The console wasn't fully powering on but had a standby light which I think means it's running the 5 volt for standby. However the case would get extremely hot. This component which is just after the power in line is the cause of the heat. I thought initially it was the cap hence the darkening from the hot air gun but it tested normally so I reinstalled it. That's when I saw that it was the other component at fault.16436536300852917554904909666076.jpg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It appears to be a house coded part. It is going to be almost impossible to identify it without a schematic or some prior knowledge of that device. I wish I could help more, sorry.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Since it it near to what appears to be an inductor, I would guess some switching voltage regulator. However, what it actually is, would be a wild guess. Try to trace out where the pins go, that may give a clue.
A remote chance it could be some MOSFET to switch power on/off, but I think less likely...

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
By the looks of the board and nearby components (inductor, capacitor, large traces), this seem to be a witching regulator in SOT23-6 package.
i would check where the wider traces connect to and lookup datasheets of nearby chips to determine input and output voltage.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
btw the board look poor. tantalum capacitor looks really toasty and not sure if that is contamination or conformal coating. maybe it is the poor photo giving that impression...

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
since this is from Japanese product, i would check datasheets of common switching regulators that use same form factor (and input / output voltage). perhaps NJW1933F1 or RP509N