A reasonably priced source for Fahnestock clips?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have a casual interest in buying a few tens of fahnestock clips. They used to be common (and cheap) as dried beans. Now I find they are a rarity and premium product. I don’t even think there is a Chinese manufacturer! I can’t find anything on AliXpress, for example.

1681040875860.png

It seems the principle users are model railroaders, and apparently they are willing to pay outrageous prices for them.

I don’t strictly need them, but I have been doing some “rapid prototyping” (read: hacking stuff together in a hurry) that has inspired me to make a few modular components in small, plastic project boxes and for this purpose, fahnestock clips would actually be quite nice as well as having a pleasant nostalgic quality.

Anyone have a source that isn’t a buck a pop—or even half that? I am not holding out too much hope, but I thought I would ask the collective wisdom of AAC.

As this goes to post, I may have found a source that is only ~.32 bucks a pop—updates as they happen.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Wow .......
I haven't seen a Fahnestock-Clip since around ~1965 !!!!
~0.32 cents each is the best price I saw when doing a search,
unless You want to buy over 100 of them.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Going rate cheap is a buck each and I've seen them at 20 bucks apiece. Best is at Newark for 48.4 cents each.539 - Abbatron Hh Smith - Fastener, Fahnestock Clip, Screw Mount Cable Clamp (newark.com) BUT it is still 10 bucks to ship them! So to break even over the 10 for 10 bucks price @ Amazon you need to buy more than 20 of em! Pan head screws and washers are much cheaper albeit not as classy looking... I have heard of making them out of paper clips?
1681060874287.png

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
What is your source for 32 cents?
A rather odd-ball and interesting source, in fact. The photo is lifted from their website. With shipping, the cost is 50¢ each, but still cheaper than the others.

They also sell a lot of other rather interesting things, so I may be buying both the elusive Fahnestock clip as well as some decently priced wash bottles and a few other odds and ends.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The problem is most folks only need a few. So, once you add the shipping, you're right back to a buck apiece...:confused: At least the Amazon ten for ten bucks includes shipping (for Prime members) so unless you want more than 10, they are hard to beat. Somehow, I ended up @ Forestry Supply once, esoteric collection of stuff! Also, Fahnestock Clip - electrical terminal for wire connections | Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com) has some nice antique rusty ones (for that nostalgic look) at $1.15 each! Along with some other hard to find stuff...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Searching for Philmore 2090 Fahnestock finds some sources, but they may be cobweb sites.
How about 16 cents each?
https://www.arcade-electronics.com/Philmore-2090-Fahnstock-Clips-p/phi-2090.htm
Great find, thanks. nThey misspelled “Fahnestock” and so hid themselves it seems.

I ordered 100 so they cost about 27¢ each all told. Theoretically, I could sell them off on eBay and make a profit... I figure that 100 will cover foreseeable and possibly unforeseeable needs.

Thanks again.

I still need to order those wash bottles—and who knows what else—from Forestry Supply.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The problem is most folks only need a few. So, once you add the shipping, you're right back to a buck apiece...:confused: At least the Amazon ten for ten bucks includes shipping (for Prime members) so unless you want more than 10, they are hard to beat. Somehow, I ended up @ Forestry Supply once, esoteric collection of stuff! Also, Fahnestock Clip - electrical terminal for wire connections | Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com) has some nice antique rusty ones (for that nostalgic look) at $1.15 each! Along with some other hard to find stuff...
Looks like searching for Fahnestock clips revealed a rich vein of other things-I-must-buy-but-wouldn’t-need-if-I-hadn’t-seen them.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
UPDATE: Got an email from Judy at Arcade Electronics that they only have 32, and they won’t be getting more—so I got the last ones, and they will cut the shipping in half.